Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

American Service Center, Arlington VA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
American Service Center, Arlington VA

I have occasionally criticized dealerships for one thing or another; but when one does well, it is appropriate to say so. I have no connection with American Service Center except as a customer - what follows is unsolicited, and is not an advertisement.

I managed to scrape the right rear quarter panel on a sand-filled plastic barrel with a metal lid. The contact with the plastic barrel only scuffed the bumper, but the metal lid scraped the paint down to the metal and creased it.

I took the car to the American Service Center paint & body shop on a Friday; dealt with Manager Jim Bergin and Asst. Mgr John Sita, who gave me a prompt and detailed estimate that was 60% of what I had thought the cost would be (and their estimate also included repairing "curb rash" on the front bumper that had existed when I bought the car). They promised the car back on the following Thursday. I left it.

On Monday I was informed that my mother had passed away. Suffering from a severe cold and bronchitis, flying to Florida was out of the question; I would have to drive. I called Mr. Burgin to see what could be done with timing, and still ensure a good job (family members in Florida were handling immmediate needs). Mr. Burgin promised the car by 5:00 PM Wednesday. He delivered.

The repair is perfect. The car is bright silver, and the match is perfect. The paint is smooth, and nano-clear coated as original. The front & rear bumpers were removed for repainting (so no overspray on the underside or elsewhere), and the taillight removed for painting the quarter panel. No seams or sanding lines are visible even in bright sunlight, nor can the blend into the roofline be seen.

A few years ago I had a shopping cart rammed into the same area of my black '00 S500. The body shop at my Mercedes dealer at the time was closed due to a fire, and I was referred to an independent shop. While the initial repair looked good, that shop did not use Mercedes - approved paint, and within months the new paint stippled because of a chemical reaction with the original paint; as a result, while the color matched, the finish was not as "deep" or as reflective as the origanal. The blend into the roof was always visible in bright light, and sanding marks were visible. The repair was very obvious. Therefore I had some trepidation over the repairs to my '05. I should not have worried.

As a dealer's shop, American Service Center uses the original paint - and as I said, the repair is perfect. Craftsmanship is obvious in that one simply cannot tell that any damage or repair was ever done. ASC was a pleasure to deal with, and most accommodating under the circumstances. The final bill was exactly what was estimated, and I believe I got very good value and excellent workmanship.

I have had fairly little experience with the maintenance shop at American Service Center; the '05 has had few problems. However, the routine maintenance has been done properly, as was the one minor repair. When I screwed up my rear seat belt, the part (though expensive) was properly replaced. I have not had cause to ask the mechanical shop to go beyond expectations - but I can say that the paint and body shop did, when asked.

So thanks to Jim Burgin, John Sita, and the super paint and body tech (whose name, regrettably, I do not know) for superb work and cooperation during a difficult time.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-31-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
Excellent post! As a fellow Northern Virginia resident, I will definitely keep ASC in mind if and when I get my first Benz (I'm a bit too young/poor to get one now. ) I've heard their radio ads a lot in the past couple weeks, and the "testimonials" seem to be very encouraging. Of course, that's what you would expect from advertiser-sponsored testimonials, but ASC sounds like a very reputable dealership and service center.

Do they have any of the new S-series ('07)?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ohnoes,

They had one in stock when I was last there for service; that was just before their introductory event for the '07. However, they also had a McLaren in stock, so I imagine they are stocked about as well as any dealer in the country.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, they have done it again. Nearly 3 weeks ago some twerps failed to yield, made an illegal left turn in front of me while I was returning from Florida. They slowed nearly to a stop, then decided to gun it across 3 lanes of traffic. I hit their back fender - they fled, dragging their bumper. Hit & run. Probably stoned or drunk, and judgment proof. Damaged my right front fender, bumper, headlight, and support & stiffener brackets - $5400 total.

I took it to ASC - they planned a week to repair, but the USAA adjuster was slow getting there. Took two weeks, not ASC's fault. However, I picked up the car today - and once again it is perfect! I can't believe the paint match (from all angles), and the body work is superb; everything lines up perfectly. Looks like it just rolled off the production line.

My Thanks again to Jim Bergin (the correct spelling) and to Mesgna Teklemariam for their follow-up while I was out of town for most of the 2 weeks it was in the shop.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:38 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
Thanks for the post! I too live in N. VA and am a new Benz owner. I was trying to decide where to go for service as I did not purchase my vehicle from a Benz Dealership. I was definitely considering ASC and now I will give them a try. Do you go to them for general maintenence as well? What about detailing/washing services? Are there any you would recommend?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 09:18 PM

W211 CDI, W203, 03 Dodge CTD
They will be first on my list to call tomorrow. My future father-in-law has given my fiance his 00 C280 Sport a few days ago as a wedding gift. I needed to replace the battery over the weekend. In doing so, the radio needs to be reset. We search through all the literature and there is no radio code card. We (f-i-l and myself) make calls to the dealer where it was purchased. Long story short, the code is not in the computer system, since they forgot to submit some paperwork to MB (or something along those lines).

So, I will be taking the car in to ASC and have them pull the radio to look up the code. My question is, should I anticipate a problem since we do not yet have the car registered in our name? The car is registered in Tennessee. In talking with the dealer where it was purchased today, I was told that there should be no problem in getting this done with my not being the registered owner. I don't guess there is a chance that this has happened to anyone before? I understand that ASC and HBL have are both the best and worst depending on who you talk to.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pinklady23 - I have dealt with ASC only once for routine service, and another time because I screwed up a rear seat belt. They did fine work and had the car back on time. Expensive, as all dealers seem to be, but I had no complaints about the work. You can book appointments online.

I have my car washed in Alexandria (it's not too far away from where I am in Arlington) on US 1 (Jeff Davis highway). Can't recall the name of the place, but it will be close to the street, on the right as you are headed south (from Arlington into Alexandria) - you pass the big box stores at Potomac Yard, and continue past the overpass on US 1 that Monroe Street intersects with (you bear left and continue on US 1 south). It is about a mile past that overpass. You will see the section where the "brushless" wash (mechanical) portion is - I never use it. Go to the office at the back of the building, ask for a hand wash. Expensive, $30, but better than having scratches. There are several hand wash places in the DC area yellow pages, but I haven't used them yet. There are also services that will come to your location during the week, for about $25. My complex doesn't permit washing cars onsite, however.

Prometheus - if the car has COMAND, there is no radio code. If it has Audio 20 or 30, there is. I suggest that you bring some paperwork indicating that the car was a gift - even if it is a card from your father-in-law. I don't know if there would be any problem as is, but that should answer the question if it arises.

I don't know where you live - but last year when my wife gave her older Lincoln Town Car to her brother, the state of Maryland refused to title it in her brother's name until she sold it to him for $1.00 and provided him with a Bill of Sale. They refused to accept her letter making the car a gift. They don't get to collect as much tax when that happens, so they give you a hard time. Still, that's a state problem, not a dealer problem.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-16-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Asc

Evening Guys,

I want to mention how professional and well trained American Service Body Shop is. My previous car a 02' CLK320 had minor scraps and paintwork was required. They did an amazing job and always worked my insurance company to make sure I was a satisfied customer.

Today, I purchased a CL 500 for American Service Center, and I have to tell you, it was the most pleasant experience I have ever encountered. Being 30 yrs old, and walking in with jeans and teeshirt, they never judged me based on my ethnic looks, age or anything. They gave a fair trade in treated me with alot of respect and integrity. As u know, many dealerships treat you on your looks,background, and try to con you.

The entire trade-in and buying process took 1.5 hours..Amazing..I bought my car during my lunch break. If anyone in Northern Va/DC/Md looking for exceptional customer service or bodywork done..seriously go to ASC.

Cheers!
Amer
Old 05-26-2006, 05:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
I also like to recommend ASC!!!!

I have miss-fired on my car and Check Engine light come up. So I simply bring the car to Euro Motocars for quick check up. After an hour of check up, they told me the Knock Sensor is the problem. Then they suggested changing the Knock sensor first ($650) and work up to the problem. This is rediculous!!!!! Knock sensor is part of suspension system that has NOTHING to do with the miss-fire. Funny part is, they told me replacing Knock sensor might not totally cure the rough engine, but that should be done first!!!! For $105 dollars an hour check up, and they told me they are not sure?????

I declined the service from Euro Motorcars and drive 15 miles south to American Service Center at Virginia. In less than an hour, ASC correctly point out the Engine Coil #3 is failing and need to be replaced, Knock Sensor is NOT faulty, because previous mechanic forgot to reset the code when changed my engine mount. Another hour later, my car is running like new again, not to mention ASC also wash my car!!!

For Mercedes owners, if you got too much money to burn or you think you should act stupid when comes to your car, by all mean, go to Euro Motocars at Bethesda. If you want quality, experiences service, go to ASC!!!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:26 AM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
The guy who sold me my car (Frank) is by far the most polite and professional salesman. I would buy from him again.

When I went in for a test drive, I asked for Frank, and recommend anyone to this dealer.

However, make sure you ask for service when it's time to get your car serviced. I've been given the run-around when I tried to call my "dedicated" service rep.

I will not mention the name of the service rep, because I gave him a bad review, and he made improvements afterwards. He actually read his review, and asked me what he had done wrong. I explained that:
- I could never get him on the phone
- I was put on hold indefinitely, sometimes disconnected
- I was transferred back and forth, then sent to voicemail
- He hardly ever called me back, if at all

Then he actually took steps to correct all this, and I got good service afterwards.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ohnoes
Do they have any of the new S-series ('07)?

Last time, I was there to test drive a new SLK55 AMG, I saw a shiny new SLR in the showroom... I have no doubt that they would have the 07 S-class sedans in stock...
Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 PM

CLS55 AMG
Thumbs up ASC - Recommend

I just picked up a CLS55 from there this past thursday. I was not going to bother with local dealers, but on a nationwide hunt. A friend of mine suggested I just call and see the car they had. Over the phone, they agreed to my price, drove up, looked her over, drove around and took her home. The only thing faster then my buying expirence is the car itself.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:13 PM

OFF TOPIC...

BlackCard, I see you live in Fredericksburg... do you know of any good real estate agents in your area that you can recommend?

I am looking for an agent to help sell a townhouse in Fredericksburg.. brand new, purchased Nov 2005, never lived in.... let me know if you know anyone I can hire.. thanks!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:57 AM

SL 500
Originally Posted by BlackCard
I just picked up a CLS55 from there this past thursday. I was not going to bother with local dealers, but on a nationwide hunt. A friend of mine suggested I just call and see the car they had. Over the phone, they agreed to my price, drove up, looked her over, drove around and took her home. The only thing faster then my buying expirence is the car itself.
Congrats on your new ride man!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:25 AM

I can only reiterate great service from ASC. Idle pulley on my new C230 went. Called in morning, took it in, done by noon. Not a minute late to daughter's greaduation same day. They really did go one step farther than I had expected.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 PM

i work at asc of arlington as a helper in the new car depment and the sales guys know there stuff we stock i thnk 2 07 s class if now we can dx one for u but im justa a helper so i im learning the ropes
Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Hey linkmustang.. which days do you work?

My car will be ready in a few weeks, so I will come by to pick it up... do you know if it's possible to get a ride in the SLR?

(This will be my 2nd new purchase from ASC, but the SLR is far beyond my current budget...)
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 PM

i dont have the key of the rigth to let u he owners son will have to let u dont get your hopes up at all man i cant help u there
Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by linkmustang
i dont have the key of the rigth to let u he owners son will have to let u dont get your hopes up at all man i cant help u there
ok, I assume you meant:
I don't have the key or the right to let you.
The owner's son will have to let you.
Don't get your hopes up at all, man...
I can't help you there.

Whew.. my head hurts..
Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
This is rediculous!!!!! Knock sensor is part of suspension system that has NOTHING to do with the miss-fire
no clue - You are living up to your name. The Knock Sensor is not part of the suspension system. The Knock Sensor detects knocking in the engine. The signal from the knock sensor feeds the ECU with information so that the ignition timing can be advanced or retarded based on current conditions. Good job by ASC though.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:52 PM

For those ASC customers who haven't read my other (SLK-heating) thread... could you please let me know if you recommend any service rep that you have had good experience with?

Thanks,
shahedC
Old 01-22-2007, 11:36 AM

05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by shahedC
The guy who sold me my car (Frank) is by far the most polite and professional salesman. I would buy from him again.

When I went in for a test drive, I asked for Frank, and recommend anyone to this dealer.
are you talking about frank azimi over at the used car lot? he is "a shark." he always maning the entrance and always the first one there. if you called and asked for a used car sale rep, the operator always transfered the call to him.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by thegeneraltso
are you talking about frank azimi over at the used car lot? he is "a shark." he always maning the entrance and always the first one there. if you called and asked for a used car sale rep, the operator always transfered the call to him.
Nope, not at all... I made both my purchases at the new car sales center, which is adjacent to the service area, and across the street from the used car sales center.

The Frank I dealt with is usually in his office or with a customer, and I didn't get any pressure to make the purchase, even though the SLK was a custom-order.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM

2005 E55
Anybody with a modded car AND a CPO warranty ever take it to ASC? I'm just wondering how they will act with an E55 with a pulley. Obviously if I melted a piston, then I wouldn't argue that, but I'm just paranoid about dealers blaming everything on that one aftermarket piece. The only dealer in NoVA that I've heard good reviews about is ASC, so I guess they are really my only hope in the area.

Also, I'm curious how they act if you don't get your regular service done there. Given my distance from dealers, it's much easier to take it to Curry's which is a respectable maintenance shop in Dulles. Again, I'm worried about the dealer flipping out when maintenance isn't in their db.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
Anyone know if they do pickup and return?

Skylaw, didn't know you were in the area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: American Service Center, Arlington VA