Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Probs being a young MB driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camry

Last edited by ToddSetaghian; 10-02-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
Originally Posted by ToddSetaghian
I defintitely understand where you guys are coming from (19 yrs., E320). I'm not going to lie, my parents did buy my car for me, but unlike many of the people near where I live (Burbank/Glendale) I'm not out to showboat. I don't know if you guys are familiar with the area, but for those of you who aren't, it's almost impossible for you not to see a Mercedes once you step out of your house. It's like a competition on the streets. Like most of you, I've received tons of dirty looks, even when a nicer Mercedes pulls up next me. It's sad to see a 45 year old man desperate to win a 19 year old's attention even when I know his car may be nicer than mine.
I had a guy in a W220 pull up next to me the other day and he gave me the thumbs up so I gave him one back, made me feel warm and fuzzy. lol.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by NZ_Benz
I had a guy in a W220 pull up next to me the other day and he gave me the thumbs up so I gave him one back, made me feel warm and fuzzy. lol.
I tried to give the thumbs-up to a guy in a W221 S65, but he was too slow in the traffic here in Viet Nam.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by jing
plus you could lease a new merc for like $350 a month. and my point was not about money but if someone is a good/bad person is not and should not be based on the car they drive. and everyone should be courteous to other people regardless what car they drive
Yea $350 a month but read the fine print... You have to put $4k down and in some cases even more.. So over a 27 month period your real payment is almost $500 a month.. When you consider the average person makes just $2,700 a month. Having a $500 car payment is a considerable part of that income and after paying for housing and food that is out of reach for the average american... So dont think that anyone can afford a Mercedes, even $20k is a lot of money to put up for a car, you might not think so since you are used to parents buying expensive things and you living in an upscale area, but when you go off to college you will realized how privileged you are to grow up with wealthy parents, since you are no longer going to school with kids that grew up in your upscale area.

As lucky as I have been over my 4 years of driving and 4 different cars 2 MB's and 2 BMW's. Yes its true you get more road rage and cut off and people behave different and for the most part you will be ok if you keep your windows up and dont drive around like an idiot. And if someone gives you a hard time just tell them "My car is in the shop so my dad gave me his car to drive around" its not worth arguing with anyone or getting into a fight with anyone. Just let them be and move on with your life.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Yea $350 a month but read the fine print... You have to put $4k down and in some cases even more.. So over a 27 month period your real payment is almost $500 a month.. When you consider the average person makes just $2,700 a month. Having a $500 car payment is a considerable part of that income and after paying for housing and food that is out of reach for the average american... So dont think that anyone can afford a Mercedes, even $20k is a lot of money to put up for a car, you might not think so since you are used to parents buying expensive things and you living in an upscale area, but when you go off to college you will realized how privileged you are to grow up with wealthy parents, since you are no longer going to school with kids that grew up in your upscale area.
I pay $575 a month just for my parking space
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM

2003 E500
I worked my *** off to save up for my E500. At 25, I feel I have done well for myself without over purchasing. I waited until I could put more than 1/2 down before biting the bullet. It makes me appreciate the hard work I accomplished everytime I drive my black beauty.

Look at my license plate: First Mercedes-Benz
Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 AM

C219 CLS / W220 † / W211† / W210 E55 † / W210 Brabus † / Hamann 540i † /
you guys make a big deal out of nothing. no one really cares, trust me. Only time people look at you and go WTF is when your young and your in a 100+k car. I see little kids driving M3's and CLS ect. ect. and no big deal, i had a Hamann 540i when I was 19.... i didnt make a big deal about it nor did i care what others thought, and guess what, others didnt care either. They didnt care because they wernt car enthusiast, if they were, then they would have had something similar. But if i see some young guy (30's or below) in a baller *** car then I go WOW, he is doing something right, and i get jelous and envious. My first thought isnt, spoiled ****, its, I need to start doing what HE is doing. But I can also see what some of you are saying, its your first benz your excited and you think the whole world is watching you, guess what, your just another ant going thru the motions. LOL. You want attention, save your money and get yourself a Pearl Orange Lambo.

ohhh and Andrew AZ, you sound like me. Car comittment problems, I'm on an avg 1.0 cars a year right now. =) and thats from 16 - present =)
Old 03-30-2007, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Highend
you guys make a big deal out of nothing. no one really cares, trust me. Only time people look at you and go WTF is when your young and your in a 100+k car. I see little kids driving M3's and CLS ect. ect. and no big deal, i had a Hamann 540i when I was 19.... i didnt make a big deal about it nor did i care what others thought, and guess what, others didnt care either. They didnt care because they wernt car enthusiast, if they were, then they would have had something similar. But if i see some young guy (30's or below) in a baller *** car then I go WOW, he is doing something right, and i get jelous and envious. My first thought isnt, spoiled ****, its, I need to start doing what HE is doing. But I can also see what some of you are saying, its your first benz your excited and you think the whole world is watching you, guess what, your just another ant going thru the motions. LOL. You want attention, save your money and get yourself a Pearl Orange Lambo.

ohhh and Andrew AZ, you sound like me. Car comittment problems, I'm on an avg 1.0 cars a year right now. =) and thats from 16 - present =)
I think I found my car... As soon as I have 3 months left on my lease on my BMW.... I am custom ordering a new one but with a stick shift. Best dam car I have had, no problems or rattles yet and I just pasted 3k miles tonight and I drive the crap out of it.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 PM

06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
after i lowered my car few days ago, i have no notice more old guys starring at me. most of them don't hate. but some do. as always, when the light turns green, they floor their car. what are they trying to prove? like seriously, they are tons of young MB, BMW, Audi drivers out there. do these guys really have nth to do but hate?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 AM

2006 cls500
Ive owned alot of cars since i got my license, and now at 19 i have the cls. People look at me like im a ***** or something just because of what i drive at my age, i don't speed, cut people off, or showboat it. I wonder if its just bad luck
Old 04-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by burkettamb
Ive owned alot of cars since i got my license, and now at 19 i have the cls. People look at me like im a ***** or something just because of what i drive at my age, i don't speed, cut people off, or showboat it. I wonder if its just bad luck
Ignore them my friend ignore them. There's alot of individuals that way believe it or not and its sad. The question is why? I have encountered looks, attitude from others. You have a great car, for you and all the MB owners just smile and ride

Last edited by JRAMGV8; 04-03-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by burkettamb
You should be cutting people off and speeding like hell... Thats why people stare at you... Drive it like you stole it... Just dont showboat thats the #1 giveaway your diving mommy and daddys car.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:43 AM

06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
You should be cutting people off and speeding like hell... Thats why people stare at you... Drive it like you stole it... Just dont showboat thats the #1 giveaway your diving mommy and daddys car.
if ya get pulled over, the whole street will stare at you, which is even worse. the road condition really sucks in where i live. i spend most of my time avoiding pot holes. i have to drive 20km sometimes because the busiest road in town is building a god damn sky train.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by NY C32
I pay $575 a month just for my parking space
I pay $2000 a month for my parking space.

Luckily, it comes with a house.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by RBrenton
I pay $2000 a month for my parking space.

Luckily, it comes with a house.
I've heard about places like that...

I hope to find one as soon as I figure out how to escape from this island
Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
True but that's something you want to avoid...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by NY C32
I've heard about places like that...

I hope to find one as soon as I figure out how to escape from this island
No worries, find the 59th st. bridge and watch out for mines.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by RBrenton
No worries, find the 59th st. bridge and watch out for mines.
Oh no...I'm not going in that direction.

I'm thinking north, to CT. The only problem is that I can't find a home on the water with a helipad on top of the boathouse that fits in my budget.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 AM

10 C350
i dont think there's a problem being a young benz driver. everywhere i go, i see many young people driving a nice benz, bmw, or audi, or any luxury car. so, i dont think it's such a big deal. however, there are some haters out there that try to launch their car at the light and cut me right in front of me....but what's the point?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 AM

CL500 AMG
If your rollin 5 deep in a clk or cl..with the windows all down looking left to right whose watching im sorry you deserve dirty looks. And when ur chillin enjoying that german engineering and you still get the looks thats when u smile and go damn working hard is good......
Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I'm 18, I got my car when I was 16. Within a couple of months I started modding the thing like crazy. Yes, my parents leased me the car. I did wind up putting $20 G's into it with mods. I wish I never modded the car and leased a second car or just banked it all. I offered to pay for my car, I actually begged my father to take my money but he was insulted...So, thats my story lol.

I get pulled over a lot, but not because its a Mercedes, its because my car with the HIDs, exhaust, subwoofer, and chrome rims is really a magnet to both cops and chicks. I am not a showoff by any means. I work 10+ hours a day and would have gladly paid for my car if I could. My lease will be up in a year and I am going to be paying for this next one.

A lot of people do hate on me, even friends. A lot of jealousy. Parents of gf's get extremely jealous that I'm making more $ than they are and that they drive busted honda minivans and I pull up in a chromed out Benz coupe. I really wish I got a different car though, maybe a mustang or something so people would just stop with the jealousy.

When I was 16 I got a ticket for 75 in a 30. My attorney took care of it (Yes, I paid for everything). It was when I had the Eisenmann exhaust so I guess I deserved getting pulled over.

I don't care that my car is a Mercedes, I am very greatful and all...but I just love cars. I got a car that I really like and I modded to my liking. Some people think that at 17 having over 400hp is a bad thing. But from what I've seen, my friends with their 200hp hondas and nissans hit the same speeds as I do, just their cars aren't as safe.

The only time I will show off my car is during a street racing meet or something, otherwise I try to keep it as low-key as possible. I never tell people what car I drive, the most I'll give them is "its a black coupe."

Oh, and I get drug dealer comments all the time. The biggest one is mafia. Especially when people hear that I work in "the family business." You learn to live with it lol. People often ask me how much the car costs too, I've heard "what'd you pay for that thing, 120k?"

But where I live driving in a Benz isn't out of the ordinairy. That's why I modded my car, so I don't blend in lol.

I would always roll up to HS in either my car, the s-class, or the escalade and teachers were the only ones who made a big deal out of it. Although I had the nicest ride in the school, students never got jealous or anything because I never tried showing off and I always respected them and their cars.

Last edited by ItalianStallion; 04-10-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:19 PM

2003 E320 sport
I am 22 and although I get a lot of dirty looks from older folks, I have never been pulled over or followed or anything by cops. They generally don't pull over nice cars unless you are doing something stupid or look ghetto (neck tats, BAPE hat, etc.)

Paid for by me BTW, some people think the parents bought it for me since I don't wear flashy clothes or suits or anything unless going to work and I look kinda young
Old 04-14-2007, 07:22 PM

2003 E320 sport
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I'm 18, I got my car when I was 16. Within a couple of months I started modding the thing like crazy. Yes, my parents leased me the car. I did wind up putting $20 G's into it with mods. I wish I never modded the car and leased a second car or just banked it all. I offered to pay for my car, I actually begged my father to take my money but he was insulted...So, thats my story lol.

I get pulled over a lot, but not because its a Mercedes, its because my car with the HIDs, exhaust, subwoofer, and chrome rims is really a magnet to both cops and chicks. I am not a showoff by any means. I work 10+ hours a day and would have gladly paid for my car if I could. My lease will be up in a year and I am going to be paying for this next one.

A lot of people do hate on me, even friends. A lot of jealousy. Parents of gf's get extremely jealous that I'm making more $ than they are and that they drive busted honda minivans and I pull up in a chromed out Benz coupe. I really wish I got a different car though, maybe a mustang or something so people would just stop with the jealousy.

When I was 16 I got a ticket for 75 in a 30. My attorney took care of it (Yes, I paid for everything). It was when I had the Eisenmann exhaust so I guess I deserved getting pulled over.

I don't care that my car is a Mercedes, I am very greatful and all...but I just love cars. I got a car that I really like and I modded to my liking. Some people think that at 17 having over 400hp is a bad thing. But from what I've seen, my friends with their 200hp hondas and nissans hit the same speeds as I do, just their cars aren't as safe.

The only time I will show off my car is during a street racing meet or something, otherwise I try to keep it as low-key as possible. I never tell people what car I drive, the most I'll give them is "its a black coupe."

Oh, and I get drug dealer comments all the time. The biggest one is mafia. Especially when people hear that I work in "the family business." You learn to live with it lol. People often ask me how much the car costs too, I've heard "what'd you pay for that thing, 120k?"

But where I live driving in a Benz isn't out of the ordinairy. That's why I modded my car, so I don't blend in lol.

I would always roll up to HS in either my car, the s-class, or the escalade and teachers were the only ones who made a big deal out of it. Although I had the nicest ride in the school, students never got jealous or anything because I never tried showing off and I always respected them and their cars.
What do you do for a living? I need to switch careers!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:04 PM

'08 C300 Sport White w/ P2 MM & Pano
Originally Posted by Highend

I agree with you 100%.
I got my MB when I turned 18, I felt cool for about a month, and then they started selling Altimas for a similar price so I suddenly got over it.

I do have to say, though, I hate having to say "Mercedes" when people ask me what I drive, just because my peers (college students, age18-22) tend to make a big deal out of it.

I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of **** for this one, being that this site is prob 99.9% male, but I have to say it:
The bigger problem is guys thinking that, and I quote, "chics and MBs go hand in hand."
Yeah, maybe a certain type of 'chic', but not the respectable type that us women would put forth as an adequate representation of the rest of us.
I think I would be justified in feeling offended by those kinds of statements, being that I would not pursue a man strictly because of the car he was driving- heck, I would pursue the car, and work for it myself.

And you guys should really know- what's more annoying than old men giving you dirty looks because you drive an MB? Random men following/ driving side by side/ honking horns/ trying to get your number, all while you're trying to make it to an exam on time.

You have no right to complain
Old 04-16-2007, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by atiqa
I agree with you 100%.
I got my MB when I turned 18, I felt cool for about a month, and then they started selling Altimas for a similar price so I suddenly got over it.

I do have to say, though, I hate having to say "Mercedes" when people ask me what I drive, just because my peers (college students, age18-22) tend to make a big deal out of it.

I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of **** for this one, being that this site is prob 99.9% male, but I have to say it:
The bigger problem is guys thinking that, and I quote, "chics and MBs go hand in hand."
Yeah, maybe a certain type of 'chic', but not the respectable type that us women would put forth as an adequate representation of the rest of us.
I think I would be justified in feeling offended by those kinds of statements, being that I would not pursue a man strictly because of the car he was driving- heck, I would pursue the car, and work for it myself.

And you guys should really know- what's more annoying than old men giving you dirty looks because you drive an MB? Random men following/ driving side by side/ honking horns/ trying to get your number, all while you're trying to make it to an exam on time.

You have no right to complain

Pictures or Ban... We will be the judge if you have a right to complain..

Please include a swimsuit photo of you next to your benz.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Probs being a young MB driver?