Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

EDP--tourist info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDP--tourist info

I have just confirmed European Delivery for September. (Getting a CLK 500 ). Will be taking the "Black Forest Rally" I would appreciate suggestions on where I can get tourist information for the towns on the route. Thanks much, Honus
Old 06-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Honus
I have just confirmed European Delivery for September. (Getting a CLK 500 ). Will be taking the "Black Forest Rally" I would appreciate suggestions on where I can get tourist information for the towns on the route. Thanks much, Honus
1) How did you find this forum?
2) The interesting fact is that you can get to the hotel websites from MBUSA EDP and from there its only a small step.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
1) How did you find this forum?
2) The interesting fact is that you can get to the hotel websites from MBUSA EDP and from there its only a small step.

1. I found the forum by surfing the internet.

2. i know the mbusa website has info on the EDP and the hotels. But my post is seeking info on tourist activities during the day while going from one hotel to the next--i.e., famous sights, special spas, notable shopping, quaint "not to miss" little towns to stop & walk around. These are not on the hotel websites. Things like that. Also some of the info on the mbusa website about seeing Germany come up in little boxes & are not printable. I have just discovered Frommers puts out a Driving Tour book for Germany & I will order that.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 SLK350, Storm Red, Premium 1 Pkg, Bi-Xenon Lights, Heated Seats, Airscarf
Originally Posted by Honus
1. I found the forum by surfing the internet.

2. i know the mbusa website has info on the EDP and the hotels. But my post is seeking info on tourist activities during the day while going from one hotel to the next--i.e., famous sights, special spas, notable shopping, quaint "not to miss" little towns to stop & walk around. These are not on the hotel websites. Things like that. Also some of the info on the mbusa website about seeing Germany come up in little boxes & are not printable. I have just discovered Frommers puts out a Driving Tour book for Germany & I will order that.
Hi,

I have an SLK350 scheduled for a European Delivery on August 24th. My wife and I
are Rick Steve's fans. He does travel programs on PBS in the US. He also owns/runs
a travel company out of Seattle and publishes travel books called "Europe Through the
Back Door".

We are spending two weeks driving our new car around. Its not the Black Forest Rally
package. But we are going to see a lot of sights we've seen on Ricks travel programs.

Roughly:

1) From Stuttgart we are going to Rottenberg
2) Koblenz to take a short cruise in the Rhine River. Koblenz south for 40 miles is
considered the most scenic.
3)Baden Baden - make sure to go to the Spas. If you want the European experience
( and aren't bothered by nudity ) go to the old baths. Both are next door to each other.
One looks modern, the other old and elegant.
4) Drive through the Black Forest down to Kostanz ( on Lake Constance ), drive along
the south shore of Lake Constance through the Appensell region of Switzerland,
through Lichtenstein ( can't spell it ) to Innsbruck. Spend night in small town
10 miles eash called Hall. This will be about 8 hours of driving. Maybe 10.
5) South into the Dolomite Mountains. Night in Kastlerute, Italy
6) South to Siena Italy.
7) Drive along the Italian cost through Pisa, to Sestri Levantė Spend two nights there
exploring thee Cirqueterra region.
8) Drive to Chamonix, Fr. Cable car to Mount Blanc. Petite Gondola to Italy. At one
point the gondola is hanging 3000 feet in the air.
9) Several years ago I was in Chamonix skiiing with my brother. Our next stop was Bern.
We looked at the map. It looked like a long looping route starting to the west. Oŗ
there was a short cut going east. We left a 9:00PM. Little did we know we were going
to drive over the top of the Alps at nighţ in winteŗ in a compact rental car! Took six hours
to get to the other sidė. Car broke down twicę we ran out of gaş but it was all downhill on the backside of the mountaiņ so we were able to coast. I want to drive the same routę in daylighţ in summeŗ in a decent car, and full tank of gas!!
10) Lauterbrunnan. Out of the way, none touristry part of Swiss Alps. Íve found
another short cut on my map!!!! My wife doesńt know about it yet!!
11) Zurich - drop off center is 10 minutes from the airport.e

While in Bavarią make sure you try the Pretzel Soup!

Mike
Old 07-16-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
Sounds like a great trip! I am sure you will both have a wonderful time, end up with a new MB and save money as well - does it get much better?