Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

This is Why Euro Car makers pull out of USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
This is Why Euro Car makers pull out of USA

This afternoon I received a notice from a goverment claims representitive naming MB as the defendent.

When I opened it......there was a notice of a CLASS ACTION SUIT brought by Karl Susman, Raj Gulrajani and John Selback. Was this suit about some sort of important safety issue?........NO. Was it about a critical manufacturers defect.........NO. It was because some people didn't receive a front license plate bracket!!! I could not believe that someone would waste time, effort and money to obtain a $10 bracket! That was until I saw what the lawyers were in it for.......

Wayne S. Kreger and Belvin Allen of Milstein, Adelman & Kreger (2800 Donald DOuglas Loop, North Santa Monica, CA)

The attorneys, for their trouble get.........$60,000!! for this money making scam. The plaintiffs get a bracket....and if you bought a new Merc from 2000 to 2004, and didn't get one, you can get one too.

I was appauled........the 3 plantiffs, as well as their lawyers should be ashamed of themselves. If you needed a bracket, I am sure that the dealer would give it to you....and if they don't...........spend the $10. And the slime attorneys should hang their heads. It is worthless actions like this which contribute to the fact that we don't get alot of great cars in the US that are available elsewhere. It jams the legal system, costs taxpayor/manufacturer dollars and makes less room for people with REAL problems. And finally.......who ends up paying for this...........the consumer who will pay more for their car.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
If they refer to the plate frame, I agree.
If they mean the bracket that holds the plate to the bumper, I kinda agree w/ the lawsuit. I used to own an 03 C-320 and had to purchase the bracket which was $60. Not exactly an arm and a leg, but will buy a nice dinner.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
If they refer to the plate frame, I agree.
If they mean the bracket that holds the plate to the bumper, I kinda agree w/ the lawsuit. I used to own an 03 C-320 and had to purchase the bracket which was $60. Not exactly an arm and a leg, but will buy a nice dinner.
So, let me get this straight......you would tie up the legal system over a $60 bracket.

When you bought your car........assuming that it was new......and you needed the front license plate on the car. Did you ask your dealer for the part? Obviously, if you bought the car used........you are on your own. My dealer put those bits in the trunk, in case I needed it.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:35 PM

IMO, Class Action Lawsuits are the biggest scam going in the US today. Lawyers get rich, plaintiffs get a few bucks a most.

A few years ago I just happened to be an included plaintiff in a CA against Citibank, not that I really cared. But, I did get a check. A whole $.50. I never even cashed it so I could keep it as a joke. Yet, the firms got millions.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Is @ Home
does this apply to only mercerdes or other car companies as well??

i think it is pointless. if the consumer can afford a car then i'm sure a plate frame is chump change....sorta like buying a house and complaining how it doesn't come with a screen door.

i have green plates and i told the dealer not to drill holes on the front bumper. but what else does the dealership do? yea thats rite, holes on my front bumper
Old 06-29-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
So, let me get this straight......you would tie up the legal system over a $60 bracket.

When you bought your car........assuming that it was new......and you needed the front license plate on the car. Did you ask your dealer for the part? Obviously, if you bought the car used........you are on your own. My dealer put those bits in the trunk, in case I needed it.
No I would not "tie-up" the legal system for $60, obviously, because I ended up purchasing the bracket.

The purchase was new and at delivery the dealer told me it was in the trunk, no big deal, but when I went looking for it (a week later) it was not there. It ends up my word against his.

If brackets are not being issued on a regular basis then yes I feel the dealers are ripping off the consumer and worthy of a lawsuit.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tangerine
i think it is pointless. if the consumer can afford a car then i'm sure a plate frame is chump change....sorta like buying a house and complaining how it doesn't come with a screen door.
Being able to afford the car does not mean I will throw money away and I don't consider $60 chump change.

Regarding the house, I would complain about the door if it were suppost to be included in the deal. Makes me wonder what else may be missing on the house if the seller balked about it.

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 06-29-2006 at 03:52 PM.