Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

great maintenance technique

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great maintenance technique

hi i need help on how to maintain a mercedes
this is the first time i own a car and i am still a newbie

besides following the FSS service a and b what else do i have to do?
the FSS service only includes oil change, brake fluid and etc...right?

what about engine tune-up?when should i do engine tune up?
and what about the brake pads and stuff?

will the dealer check all my engine, allignement, brake and etc for me when i bring it for FSS service?or do i have to ask them to check all this separately?

i mean do they check the entire car when i bring it for FSS service a and B or do they only check the oil, brake fluid etc..?

any help will be appreciated much
Old 08-29-2002, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Don't worry. It does not get a 'tune-up' any more the electronics take care of it all. The manual tells all you need to know, give it a good once over. If you notice anything strange just mention it to the service rep when you go for your A or B. If it is an emergency take it in right away, assuming you can still drive it safely.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
i seriously don't trust waiting until my first service A to get the oil changed, especially because of the break in period. my car is at 5100 miles and i took it in this morning for an unscheduled oil change ($93). even if it does nothing it will give me piece of mind, but i have to believe it's #93 well spent.

after this, i'll just take it in for scheduled maintenance. the break in period is what worried me.

meanwhile, i'll enjoy the SLK230 loaner
Old 08-30-2002, 02:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I agree with mdp c230k. session makes a good point about unscheduled oil changes if you are uncomfortable waiting the 10k+ miles to the first. There has been a lot of discussion on whether or not this is a good thing or not. But it certainly will not hurt anything (except maybe your wallet). I am going by the manual and the car's computer on when I should change the oil, but that's me.....

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:33 PM

ML
We have beaten this thing to death here and I hope

my comments below will help some.

First of all, the FSS works just as intended. There is no need to perform intermediate oil changes. Here's one reason why. I have a '02 E430 and the FSS called for first A service at almost 13.5K. I took it in at 13060. I had driven hard, both HWY and City driving, typically 80-100 on HWY and regular less than 35 in the city. I was curious also so I has a sample of the oil analyzed to test the "goodness" or "protection pontential" of the oil. After 13K miles, the oil could still provide adequate protection for the engine - that's good, very good, I must say. The FSS does work and MB has done a great job fine tuning the system. After a phone call to MB, I found out that from the factory, except for the E55 AMG, all MB cars are filled with a synthetic blend (not Mobil and not a fully synthetic oil). The synthetic blend dramatically aids in breaking in the motor - the break-in process is very important!! After the break-in, a fully synthetic can be used.

Secondly, to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been any reported FSS related engine problems with '00 - '02 MY cars. That should give us all peace of mind. Moreover, your motor won't fail due to FSS problems anytime soon. Most of us don't keep these cars for ever. Hence, by the time motor failure happens (if it ever does), we are probably at our 3rd or 4th MB. So, why spend the time and money to perform intermediate oil changes?

Finally, the environmental impact of oil changes should be considered. The less we change, the less polution there is.

Stick with the FSS.