Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Getting a C280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo 850
Smile Getting a C280

Went out last night to one local non MB dealer who had a dark silver C230 5speed on the lot. Got there, apparently we didn't look the part. I was in shorts, Birks and black tshirt from a hotel in Cooktown, Oz. The mrs was still in scrubs. The guy beat around the bush, saying they didn't do test drives within 1 hour of closing. I asked the receptionist, the sales manager was gone. I was a bit pissed, the wife was livid. She tore him a new one, then showed him her ATM receipt from ML with the 300k balance. We headed home.

Went to another dealer 1 hour from us today. We were dressed about the same, I was in shorts and a shirt, the wife was in scrubs (she had to work today). The sales guy saw us, walked right over. Greeted us, he never showed a look of disdain. That was the first good move.

They had a C220, a C230 and a C280. All were autos; she wanted a 5 speed. I pushed her to drive an auto just to get a feel for the car. The C280 was a 98, 32k miles, bright silver (the germans do silver so well), glass sunroof, black leather. Very nice condition, the pedals weren't all worn and it looks as if the previous owner maintained it.

We hopped in after signing the "I won't trash it" paperwork.

Well, nice car! It seems to take bumps a bit smoother than her Volvo 850. The handling is better, not as much lean in the corners. The auto was nice, none of that annoying hunting the auto on my work vehicle (Suburban) has a problem with. Nice leg room in front and back; it's a bit tight for me in the back if the front seat is to my liking (I'm about 6' and long legged), but it's not as tight as the 328i we were looking at. No rattles or squeks even over speedbumps.

We are going to look at another C280 on Tuesday; she really loves the one we drove today, we'd have gotten it on the spot if it was bright red.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w202 C220
I don't think any of the US model w202 C-Class were offered with a manual transmission...they only come in either a 4-speed (older models) or 5-speed (1998+ models, I think) automatic. If I were you, I'd keep my eye out for a C280, much smoother and quiter ride than the C220, C230, and C230 Kompressor. The C280 also offers a solid amount of torque.

Keep us posted!

-Faheem