Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Parktronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunatly Not A Silver Star
Parktronic

Ive noticed that alot of the people on here and alot of Merc's in general in the US dont have Parktronic, Im just curious if anyone can tell me why this is ? All models come standard with it in australia so I sort of find this unusual
Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 63 AMG
It is not a standard feature here

Parktronic is not a standard feature here in the US. I do have it on my vehicle, but it was a paid option that happened to be on my car.

I have mixed feelings on the option, don't know that I would consider it a must have.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I got to choose from two S65s on the lot, same color and options except for Parktronic. I took the one without Parktronic (it was standard on the S65 but some were delivered with the "Parktronic delete" option).

My number one reason is that the transponders are ugly. If MB used plastic caps to cover screws that held the bumper on, nobody would stand for it. These things look just as bad. I note that the system on the W221 (when equipped with both Parktronic and Distronic II) is invisible. This is a big step forward.

But I'm not sure I'd want it even then. How can anyone drive a high-performance vehicle without learning the exact limits of its physical envelope? I want to maneuver the car in traffic at any speed. Relying on Parktronic for parking indicates you're haven't learned your car yet. In the case of my current car I was trading one W220 for another, so I didn't need any training period.

Finally, the beeping drives me crazy. When I rent a car in Europe the first thing I look for is the way to turn the damn thing off.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM

2003 CL600
Originally Posted by whoover
But I'm not sure I'd want it even then. How can anyone drive a high-performance vehicle without learning the exact limits of its physical envelope? I want to maneuver the car in traffic at any speed. Relying on Parktronic for parking indicates you're haven't learned your car yet.
No one knows the "exact limits" of any car, especially someone who isnt some sort of professional. Parktronic is meant to be an aid in parking, not your only source of vision. I agree that people should know "about" how close you are to the car behind or in front of you, but its very difficult to know the "exact" amount. I have it, I like it. Do I depend on it? No, but do I appreciate it telling me that im a little too close? Yes.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
Originally Posted by mikracer
No one knows the "exact limits" of any car, especially someone who isnt some sort of professional. Parktronic is meant to be an aid in parking, not your only source of vision. I agree that people should know "about" how close you are to the car behind or in front of you, but its very difficult to know the "exact" amount. I have it, I like it. Do I depend on it? No, but do I appreciate it telling me that im a little too close? Yes.
It's very good for parking the PO of my car had sensors added to the read bumper and they are very useful. Also with the high back that most the the S class saloons have it's very good for say if a small child were to walk out behind the car in a carpark or driveway, seriously next time you park the car look out the rearview and look where your vision starts and then go and have a look how far back from the car that is. Even if you turn around vision is not that good.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that feeling more confident with Parktronic is a moral failing. My answer is obviously subjective, and I know it's a minority opinion.

Believe me, after five years in this car, I know where the overhangs are. I agree a lot of the rear is blind, but I've never scraped anything yet. The W140 was even worse. Remember the pop-ups the early ones had?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 PM

2003 CL600
Yeah, thats exactly it, I've morally failed. HAHAHAHA!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Nice CL mikracer. I like the wheels. The CL is a perfect GT car.

Parktronic isn't essential, but it would be nice to have sometimes. I find it would work best if I were parking or backing up, and the car behind me is really small, so I can barely see it through the rear windshield.

Oddly, I actually like the look of the little Parktronic sensors.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
AML- I'm with you! I want the Parktronic sensors! Gives it a high-tech look, IMO.

But apparently that's a BIG mod for a W203. I would left the sensors from a CLK, but would need to change the instrument cluster or something I think.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
AML- I'm with you! I want the Parktronic sensors! Gives it a high-tech look, IMO.

But apparently that's a BIG mod for a W203. I would left the sensors from a CLK, but would need to change the instrument cluster or something I think.
Mine being aftermarket just beap, it's pretty good, you know when you hit something I guess the tone goes solid. And usually it's only one side of the car that is close to an object so you don't really need the dash display.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I like my parktronic.