Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Wrong lug bolts, now vibration.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong lug bolts, now vibration.

A couple of weeks ago my wife had a nail in her r/r tire (not flat) so I went to put the spare on for her. It was dark and I didn't notice on the spare it said to use different lug bolts for the spare. I put the long ones in although I had to force them a little (mistake) and when I when to tried to drive the car it wouldn't move. Then I read the manual and put the shorter lug bolts on. She started having a vibration at around 65 mph when we got the tire fixed. I thought maybe I warped the rotor so I changed brakes and rotors on the rear but still had the same problem. Thinking that the tire was defective I had new ones put on and balanced but she still has the vibration at 65 mph. The lug bolts were not stripped out. I hate to have to go to the dealership to have it fixed for such a stupid mistake but I don't know what else to do.
It is a 03 C240 sedan.
Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Guess?

Originally Posted by rdkeisman
Any ideas?
Bearing shot, bent rim,or bent axel?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
I'm probably the wrong one to comment on this because I like my dealer. However, I would like to say that they are not all out to steal from you (hence the common term stealership on here) or to make fun of you for what is most likely a very common mistake with the spare tire lug nuts.

What comes to my mind is that your owner's manual recommends a precise torque for the lugs (sounds ridiculous I know, but that might be your problem). And as has already been mentioned, maybe you bent the rim when you forced the longer nuts into the wheel.

In any event, good luck!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 PM

cheaper than a benz...
if you put the wrong bolts on the rear..... long bolts in the spare...it will destroy the parking brake assembly , and most of the major players on the axle, it's
been a while since ive done one of these...so i cant recall all the damaged parts.

does the parking brake still work..??..
if you arent sure..always get a second opinion

i have seen this problem happen several times..so you arent the only one, that has done this
Old 04-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
Originally Posted by fixbenz
if you put the wrong bolts on the rear..... long bolts in the spare...it will destroy the parking brake assembly , and most of the major players on the axle, it's
been a while since ive done one of these...so i cant recall all the damaged parts.

does the parking brake still work..??..
if you arent sure..always get a second opinion

i have seen this problem happen several times..so you arent the only one, that has done this
I concur. Used to happen all the time when MB went from steel to alloys.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 AM

have you check the mercedes axle? it could be bad and needs a replacement. also try checking transmission mount and the motor mounts. good luck, hope you'll figure it out soon.