Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

share your experiences with low profile tires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
share your experiences with low profile tires.

hi everyone, i just blew my second tire this year~ im running on conti sports 2 255/30/20 in the front and 305/25/20 on the rear. this is the 2nd time that i curbed my rim and blew my front right tire. i hit a pot hole or a rock in the beginning of the year and i bent my front lip and destroyed my tire. i wasn't driving that fast. prob around 40mph. the 2nd time, i was in a parking lot and i didn't see a curb, so i smashed my car right on one and curbed my rim. my side wall looked fine, but when i sprayed some soap water between the tire and the lip, it was bubbling up. the tire pressure censor keep popping up buy my tire pressure didn't drop so far. god damn it, im so pissed off. the road condition here in vancouver sucks like crap. im so stressed out about it. running on 20's looks pretty cool but it does suck for daily driving.

my question is, how often do you guys hit pot holes or destroy a tire or something.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Low-Profiles? ARRRG!

Although not on a Mercedes, my daughter had low-profiles on a Dodge Neon. What a headache! Over the course of 2 years, AAA changed 2 tires after she hit potholes in San Jose, CA. (The place is notorious for potholes!) And I changed one tire on the car that developed sidewall damage. All three required replacement rubber. As you can imagine, a Dodge Neon is not exactly a speed demon, nor is the car prone to handling problems. After the third one, I said enough was enough... we have been back on standard size rims/tires and have had zero problems since.

I have no experience with low-profiles on a Mercedes, but because of the issues my daughter had, I cringe when I see 'em.

Oh BTW, does anyone want a set of low-profiles for a Dodge Neon? They look cool.