Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

whats a boy to do

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430
Cool whats a boy to do

so i recently sold my 1986 S-class and now im in the market for a new car, and as a 19 year old who is working as a government contractor ($$$$) ive been looking at some nice cars but i just cant bring myself to make a decison. so the first and most important is proformance, i dont go out to the track or anything but i love stomping some little punk in a honda with a coffee can for a muffler. after that it just looks you know to impress the ladies, funtionallity and it has to black. lastley is price, i mean the more expensive the car the less beer money id have but sometime you have to make sacrifices. so here are the cars ive been looking at as a loyal german car fan. 00-02 clk 430, 00-02 E55 AMG, a S600 coupe, a late 90's SL, BMW 8-series preferably the V12, or even a VW corrado SLC. so all im looking for is imput. if you've ever owned one, drivin one knew someone that had one, and either loved it or hated it id love to hear from you. and any other comment will be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 PM

BMW
Proud owner of 00 CLK430

I don't have much complaints about this car, as mine is serving me well so far. Replaced the catalyic coverters 2.5 yrs ago, and last year replaced the camshaft position sensor. Recently air conditioning stopped giving cool air, so I thought it needed recharging, but it turned out that I had a small leak, problem easily solved/fixed. This is all the major problems it had since my ownership *knocks on wood*

Just last week did Service B maintenance; oil change + new oil filter, spark plugs + wires, replaced air filters, checked brake fluid, MAF, etc..

All the CLK's have the common problems;

1. Passenger seat at some point or another will stop working, meaning it'll be in lock position and you won't be able to move the seat forward or backwards. Usually its just a fuse.

2. Sometimes when you start the car, you all get the malfunction to check the ABS, BAS, and ESP. Next time you restart your car, it'll go away.

3. MAF usually goes bad early

4. When you're driving it seems as if your car is heating up because the needle is a bit higher than the mid mark, but don't worry, your car is fine.

That's all I can think of w/the CLK.

8 series a difficult car to maintain, and it'll be hard to find a good condition one, as there aren't as many available for sale, and not many sell in good mechanical condition.

Never had an 00-02 E55 amg, but a while ago we used to have a 1997 E class, served us well, only regular maintenance was done to it, and we once recharged the a/c, thats it.

My dads a car dealer, he always had/has the early-late 90's SL classes for sale, he has no complaints with them. All seem to be in good mechanical condition (atleast the ones he had).

Good luck with finding the right car.

Last edited by Jessica90; 06-27-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 GL 450, 2007 SL 550, 2005 Range Rover
i think you should go for the clk