Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Driving with the eyes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2007 | 10:45 AM

08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Driving with the eyes

Here's an article that some enthusiasts might enjoy.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104950
Old 10-21-2007 | 11:01 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Excellent article, and addresses one of the biggest problems that most drivers have, focusing only on the bumper of the car in front of them. As a biker I'm especially sensitive to this and I'm always looking ahead and I'm constantly amazed by people that can't drive with their out of their azz, cell phone, iPod, GPS, etc., etc. My exhaust "note" helps them regain attention with the outside world however...
Old 10-21-2007 | 11:19 AM

08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Eyes

Most bike riders have it together as you point out. From 30 yrs. in EMS it is my opinion the two biggest causes of accidents are not driving far enough ahead for one's speed and not changing speed for changing conditions. Have you ever noticed that if you are driving 75-80 and it begins to rain/snow, you slow down a bit, and everyone blows by you?

Years ago I was taking the Bondurant high performance driving course and was into a long sweeper thinking I was looking far enough ahead. My instructor looked at me and could tell my head/eyes were not seeing the exit and told me to look farther ahead. That stuck with me ever since. This is true of course on the straightaways as well. As you say the average driver is used to looking at the next bumper - you usually hit what your looking at!

Someone suggested that for interstate/long distance driving esp. to cut out a 1/8 inch piece of masking tape and place it on your windshield just below the level where you should be looking ahead. It does work as the eyes seem to get lazy and you drop your "horizon eyes" and before you know it your speed is overcoming your ability to react. My paramedics did a lot of long distance patient transfers from the mountains into a large city and we were always training on this.