Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Out-of-state vehicle purchase ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 02:05 PM

S550 , S430
Question Out-of-state vehicle purchase ?

Several forum member purchase out-of-state car based on the pictures and specification emailed by the salesperson. Which make-sense if it is brand new car.

Since I am looking for 2 yr old car, can anyone offer tips and advise how to proceed with out-of-state purchase?

I am in Portland Oregon and shopping for 2yr old ML350 in California.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2007 | 03:56 PM

2013 S550, CLS500, ‘03 SL500, “92 190E Sportline
Carfax it, make plans to go see the car (make sure you have enough time to thoroughly check it out, and drive it.) Ask to see maintenance records for the car. Ask seller about any serious situations they had with the car, and read reviews for that particular model car online, ask ppl who own/have owned one.
Old 10-23-2007 | 04:00 PM

Oh yeah! almost forgot: if the car you are planning on buying is quite a distance, find out about a temporary transit permit to bring the car back to your state when you purchase it. You may have to contact the DMV of the state the car is in. Contact your DMV to see what they say too. If you find out all you need in order to bring the car, it can save you a trip, gas, and time. Example: after you go see the car for the first time, you can (if the seller agrees) buy the car that same day. If you can get a temporary transit permit, you can take it home that day. If not, you can take it home the day you make the transaction.
Old 10-25-2007 | 12:57 PM

S550 , S430
Thanks!

Thanks much for the tips aolsen!

I surely will check with DMV re: temporary transit permit. Never thought of that.
At the same time, I will also check the sales impact. I am in Oregon where there is no sales tax and planning to purchase from California (hoping for more competitive price).

Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2007 | 01:41 PM

Your Welcome

No problem. I'm in the same situation; buying a car from another state. 3 MORE WEEKS!!!
Old 11-12-2007 | 05:36 PM

From: Grass Valley, Northern California / Gardnerville, Nevada
1991 560SEC AMG & 1995 E420 & 2013 BMW 535i DINAN & 1967 Cougar
Yeah the one trip permit. I didn't know about those, they are cheap, too, only from free to $20.00

If you bought used (I got a 10 month old one from a dealer in Tucson Arizona) it might take longer, for the out of state dealer to verify your insurance and so forth. I would not worry about credit, I would sign any loan they offered, because once you get back, in I think 3-4 days, you can simply refinance at your home bank or credit union to get the best rate.

Another thing to watch is the plates. On the car I got in Arizona, the plates were about to expire, so I had to pay another year of ARIZONA license plates for a new tag, and immediately registered it when I got back to CALIFORNIA, and so actually paid one years license fees in 2 separate states.

You might be forced to pay sales tax on it in California, and
if so, try and see if you won't have to pay it a second time when you license the car in Oregon, see if you can get a credit or offset for the tax you paid in California, if you had to pay it

When you get back to Oregon you might have to have the VIN verified by gthe DMV in that state or the AAA office's DMV rep if there is one.

You also might have to do something with the DEQ when you get back also.
Might as well check first.

You will never be back to the California dealer again, so be sure and get a few extras in the deal.

YOu MUST get them in writing. In California, that will be on what is called the "DUE BILL", and don't miss it. It is what the selling dealer has agreed to
include in the sale, and it says on it somewhere "oral promises are worthless".
And believe me they are. Once your check cleared the bank, they will be a tougher customer than you EVER were.

If I were you, I'd put theswe onb the due bill, for starters: (couple of years old Mercedes)

1. Car MUST have with it, all booklets, maintenance booklets, owners manuals, in blackk leather Mercedes Benz zippered case.

2. Photo copies of ALL work and service orders for the car

3. Copy of Vehicle Master Inquiry (MB Net) for the car, to get history of warranty work, recalls, equipment, build dates etc for the car.

4. Small bottle of touch up paint.

5. As used car, MUST have 2nd full set of keys included (IF N/A, to be ordered and mailed to you later.)

6. Nice dealer key ring (2 sets) or small gift or credit for something to pick up in the parts/accessories dept. of the selling dealer.

To get it, ALL that stuff must be in WRITING at the California dealer, or they don't have to give it to you. Make sure YOU put it in your own words on the DUE bill, both you and they will have signed copies.

Stay on it.

You should do fine. Good luck
Make sure they perform, there is a time limit on due bills - usually 30 days.