Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Has Mercedes lost it's appeal?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Has Mercedes lost it's appeal?

I love talking on these types of forums and hearing of people's experiences with other dealerships. It helps me in my career to understand people's perceptions before/after their purchase. My main question is, Why do I hear all this talk about discounts? Im not saying that you HAVE to pay sticker, but what is with this obsession that you should get a Mercedes at INVOICE or below? Im not that old, but can remember when buying a Mercedes was something and people didnt mind paying MSRP b/c they knew they were buying a quality product.

Anyways, this is not to bash anyone, im just curious as to where this trend is coming from. Im in the car business now and have been for a short time (less than 1 year) and know it's all about building relationships and giving a memorable experience at the dealership.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
I hear this about the USA, here in Canada that is not possible.

For example, the new C-Class is out. If you are lucky, you get $ 500.00 off the MSRP and we pay much more than our friends in the USA, to start with.

Why do the US dealership sell at invoice price and then put them on a waiting list?

The problem with that is too, that if anybody gets these cheap deals, everybody has to try, because when it comes to trade-in time the dealership tell you, you get very little, because we sold the car, years ago, at invoice price.

The dealerships have to make money too and profit is not a dirty word, they are a necessity. But I hear about a lot of funny charges, advertising fee, processing fees etc. Then many people lease and we all know, leases are a mine field. So do they get, in the end, such a hot deal? I like to audit some of these invoice price deals and see for myself. I think some of the poeple just kidd themselves and as long as they are happy that is all that matters.

Jorg
Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Yesterday's Wall Street Journal listed the top 10 selling vehicles in USA based on time spent on dealer lot.

Tied for number 3 were Mercedes C-Class and Mercedes GL.

See also http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Nov07/0..._Increase.html
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
Anyways, this is not to bash anyone, im just curious as to where this trend is coming from. Im in the car business now and have been for a short time (less than 1 year) and know it's all about building relationships and giving a memorable experience at the dealership.
:choke:

That went down the wrong pipe because of

2 sides of a coin. You can't tell me that when you go into a dealership that you wouldn't want the best price you can get. And here you are, on the other side of the fence, advocating that people should pay more. For your info; one can have a memorable experience and still satisfy both parties. Its called competition which also happens to be tied to location. New car sales make the least amount of profit for a dealership. Used cars and service is where they make the most. Its a free market. Live with it. Remember this? 90% of sales are done by 10%.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
Hi:

I see you are from Germany. As you know, as a whole, Germans pay a high price for their cars. Many of their products sell abroad for less than in the Fatherland.

Now that may have changed in the last while, but when I visited, I found that some cars were very expensive. So what does the sales person bring to the table if everybody buys at MSRP?

I look at it a little bit differently. For me, a car ownership experience is buying, maintaining and trading it in. The dealership has many opportunities to either skin you alive or have a reasonable relationship. I think it is important to have a good relationship and to get treated well all the way.

What do you think?

Jorg
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Jorg
So what does the sales person bring to the table if everybody buys at MSRP?

What do you think?

Jorg
No idea. My point is that its a job. If you can't live of what you are doing then maybe a career change is in order or your livestyle will have to change. $0.02

Originally Posted by Jorg
I think it is important to have a good relationship and to get treated well all the way.

What do you think?

Jorg
I'm cheap. But at the same token I take my car back to the dealer for service while in warranty. After that its fair game.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Don't forget Britney just picked up an SL65...The appeal must still be there.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
I love talking on these types of forums and hearing of people's experiences with other dealerships. It helps me in my career to understand people's perceptions before/after their purchase. My main question is, Why do I hear all this talk about discounts? Im not saying that you HAVE to pay sticker, but what is with this obsession that you should get a Mercedes at INVOICE or below? Im not that old, but can remember when buying a Mercedes was something and people didnt mind paying MSRP b/c they knew they were buying a quality product.

People like to feel they are getting a good deal. It's human nature. Who wants to pay more than they have to?

Also years ago Mercedes was in a class by itself. Now everybody and their mother is selling "Luxury" Cars. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, everybody has an alternate brand and the prices are competetive. I for one am proud to own a Mercedes and feel privelaged to do so. It's only money.....