Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

The Resilient (old) Smart Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The Resilient (old) Smart Key

I came in yesterday exhausted and sore from a "day off" of heavy yard work, and needing to get ready for the Trick-or-Treaters. I took my filthy clothes off in the utility room, removing stuff from the pockets (guess again) and putting them into the washer.

After showering, I started putting clean clothes together. OMG, where's the key to my S500?

Yes, you know already - in the pocket of the jeans I was washing. At least, that's where it started. It was out among the load. In the water. Glad I had benznodubs' post on the new Smart Key at Got my very cool New Style OEM Smart Key today ! - MBWorld.org Forums - maybe this was the excuse I needed.

Anyway, expecting the worst, I dried the key's exterior - and tried it. It worked!! At least, to lock the doors. But a moment later, it wouldn't unlock the doors or open the trunk. I let it dry on a key hanger (red button down) until the Trick-Or-Treaters were done - about 3 hours - and tried again. It works! Everything! Starts the car, operates locks - and now, it's clean and smells fresh, too!

Well, OK - it's not a procedure I'd recommend to anyone. And yes, my washer is a front loader with minimal water usage, so the key wasn't under water all the time (it certainly was when I fished it out, though).

Now I'm looking for another excuse to buy that snazzy new key.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 300
That's pretty sweet that your key still works. I was thrown into a pool once and my key stopped working, so I had to buy a new one.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
I had mine in a top loader once and it didn't fail.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
I've washed mine twice and it has worked every time.