Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Canadian Speedometer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Canadian Speedometer

I recently bought a 2008 C300 (W204) in Southern California. I'll be moving back to Canada in about 6 months. I was wondering if it would be possible to order a Canadian speedometer and have it changed here in California? Is there anything from Mercedes which prevents this part from being sold in the US?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG WAGON
When you move back to Canada the car will have to be 'Federalized' by Mercedes Benz Canada in order for it to be allowed to be plated in Canada. All of the work MUST be performed by Mercedes and they have to sell you all of the parts. Believe me they are VERY **** on this and will even make you buy new sun visors that read in English and French. Now for the kicker, expect this process to cost $5-7K all together for a C-Class (it costs about $12K for an S or SL class). For more details call MB Canada. Once you give them your VIN, they can tell you the cost to get the car federalized. I've researched this for months and there is no way out of the inspection (believe me I have considered even the craziest of scenarios).
Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by guptard
I recently bought a 2008 C300 (W204) in Southern California. I'll be moving back to Canada in about 6 months. I was wondering if it would be possible to order a Canadian speedometer and have it changed here in California? Is there anything from Mercedes which prevents this part from being sold in the US?
The Mercedes Benz Canada website states the following: " All 2008 models are currently not admissable. We have commenced work with the factory to determine which MY 2008 vehicles can or cannot be modified to meet Canadian safety requirements.".
I believe that has mainly to do with the theft prevention device, which the Federal Government has now decided to waive for the time being.
It certainly is very risky to buy a car in the US, wihout having a letter from MBC stating exactly what is required to allow the car to be imported into Canada. Good Luck