Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

M-B factory extended warranties on cars purchased from non-MB dealers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
M-B factory extended warranties on cars purchased from non-MB dealers

I'm looking at a used SLK55 AMG at a non-MB dealer. The car is still within its original warranty period.

I inquired about extended warranties, and the salesperson said that she contacted MBUSA, who told her that it was possible for me to go to any authorized MB dealer and extend the warranty myself - essentially "CPO"-ing it. The only catch being the car has to be within its original factory warranty period - which it is.

Is this true?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM

11 ML350
You can get an aftermarket warrenty throught the dealer that is almost as good as MBCPO. But unless you buy the car from the dealer you cant get MBCPO.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 AM

N/A
An update regarding the car.

After running a CarFax, it turns out the car was CPO'ed in October of 2007:

10/xx/2007 xx,xxx Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Dealer Offered for sale as a Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
Orion Blue Exterior.

Right now it's at a non-MB dealer though. What does that mean? It kind of seems strange that it was on sale as a CPO'ed vehicle less than 6 months ago, but no individual owner has been reported between then and the dealer where it's at right now.

Should I be wary?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by wlee
An update regarding the car.

After running a CarFax, it turns out the car was CPO'ed in October of 2007:

10/xx/2007 xx,xxx Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Dealer Offered for sale as a Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
Orion Blue Exterior.

Right now it's at a non-MB dealer though. What does that mean? It kind of seems strange that it was on sale as a CPO'ed vehicle less than 6 months ago, but no individual owner has been reported between then and the dealer where it's at right now.

Should I be wary?
Most likely the MB dealer ended up wholesaling the car to another dealer or sent it to a dealer auction where it was sold to your non MB dealer. Why did the original dealer CPO the car?? Most likely he thought he had a retail prospect or thought it would sell quickly. Many dealers wholesale a car when it has sat on their lot for more than a reasonable period of time.