Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Letters to MBUSA - Please Offer Sport Vehicles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Lightbulb Letters to MBUSA - Please Offer Sport Vehicles

The MBUSA web site permits E-Mail comments and questions.

That link was used to request MBUSA lift the embargo on the C-Class Coupe. My request is at the bottom of this topic.

MBUSA responded that the C-Coupe is not available in the US and I should check the web site for current offerings. The text is paraphrased, as it's rude and inappropriate to post another's words on-line without permission.

My follow-up to that initial response, listing all the obstacles MBUSA has erected to importation of sporting vehicles is provided. Most of these issues are resolved by a simple computer key stroke. Others would require MBUSA effort, to commence driving MB to develop products for the US market.

Their paraphrased response is listed.

MBUSA to wingless - Follow-Up Letter Response (Paraphrased)
Thanks for the follow-up. The information will be shared, as-appropriate.
MBUSA knows their market, that’s why MBUSA has been successful, even though the product offering does not satisfy every consumer.

wingless to MBUSA - Follow-Up Letter to MB Agent
Dear XXX
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of my request to permit the C-Class coupe to return to our shores. While I remain disappointed that my next vehicle will not be another new Mercedes-Benz, I am instead more excited about my decision to purchase my second choice, my first new BMW.

My C320 ownership experience has been favorable. My current perspective is, in the future, if MBUSA should authorize importation of a vehicle that satisfies my requirements when I am in the market for another new vehicle, then I would not hesitate to “return to the fold”, unless of course I become enamored with BMW.

The greatest MBUSA shortcoming is also straightforward to resolve. The existing restrictions when configuring a new vehicle, only in the US, do not exist to benefit the consumer. These restrictions instead appear to perhaps ONLY benefit MBUSA.

These arbitrary configuration prohibitions constrict the US vehicles to satisfy the requirements for only the luxury market and exile MB sport vehicles to the ROW market.

There are two suggestions I will offer. One is to expand configuration options to include those available to the ROW market, permitting consumers to also select sport vehicle configurations. The other is to use the strength of the US market to direct MB to expand sport vehicle options, beyond those currently available in any world market.

Importation Improvements – No Design Changes Required
1. C-Class Coupe – Permit the return of the coupe to the US. This rear-drive hatchback is an outstanding vehicle. Like many others, I prefer this vehicle to all others.

2. Manual Transmission – With the absence of the C-Class Coupe, the other MB coupes could be acceptable, if MBUSA imported the larger engines and permitted those with the manual transmission.

3. Fabric Interior – The MBTex and leather are fine, but the ROW market gets to enjoy the fabric interior choices. Fabric is superior on sport vehicles. It offers greater grip when cornering. It is better in temperature extremes. It is easy to clean, with a vacuum for regular cleaning, water is used, when required and fabric cleaner, is used for more difficult issues.

4. Satellite Radio as Separate Option – The existing satellite radio includes the addition of an antenna on the exterior sheet metal. I would never want that visible antenna on any vehicle. The remaining package options should be offered separately to permit a useful configuration, without the ugly antenna.

5. Designo Selections – The ROW market can select Designo options à la carte, can select from a myriad of interior and exterior colors, can select many Designo trinkets and the option cost is based on the trim level for the model. That is, a Designo interior option in a AMG costs less than in a base model. US vehicles should have à la carte Designo choices, with scaled pricing, like ROW vehicles.

6. Ugly Charges – There is NO justification to whack a consumer with an “ugly charge”, for selecting a non-approved color combination. If a consumer wants a green car with a red interior, then the dealership should require a large deposit, so they don’t get stuck with a difficult to sell vehicle, but mismatched colors don’t warrant extra fees.

7. On-Line Order Configuration – It should be possible to configure a vehicle on the MBUSA web site, then bring a unique web configuration number to the dealership, to eliminate order entry errors.

Design Improvements
1. Velour Seat Fabric – Offer the black velour seat fabric, as is used in the SLK55 Black Series and the European CLK63 Black Series, on standard vehicles. I had a vehicle with that fabric and it is my all time favorite!

2. AMG C-Class Coupe – The C-Class Coupe is a PERFECT platform for an AMG model.

3. Manual Transmission AMG – The AMG should be offered with a manual transmission. This is especially applicable to the SLK, the CLK and the C-Coupe. I would buy a manual transmission AMG, in a minute. I am instead driven to BMW and Porsche. I’ve been satisfied with both new Porsches I’ve purchased, except for the phone and the NAV interfaces.

4. Cost-Effective Bluetooth Phone – The factory phone option works well. The cost is excessive, bordering on obscene. It should be re-designed to permit the total charges for the Bluetooth phone option to be well under $500. There are already WAY too many distracted operators, without MB contributing vehicles to the mix.

5. Trailer Tow Option – The European vehicles get a really cool hidden power hitch. That should be offered in the US, for pulling a jet ski, or other small toys.

6. Lock / Unlock Chirp – An audible feedback for lock and unlock is very handy to ensure the vehicle is secure. It is also handy to locate the vehicle when misplaced.

7. Hidden Satellite Antenna – MB needs to figure out how to hide the satellite radio antenna. For example, the Corvette hides it within the exterior mirror housing. The Cayenne hides it in the rear spoiler. Hide the antenna! It is ugly!

8. Command / Phone Synchronization – The Command downloads the phone directory every single time. It should instead assume the directory is unchanged and permit usage of that already within the vehicle, while downloading the latest directory in the background.

9. Command / Phone / Images – The Command should download and display the images for each directory entry, on incoming calls. As per my prior request, those should be stored locally and updated in the background when synchronizing.

MBUSA to wingless - Initial Response (Paraphrased)
C-Class Coupe not available in the US, check the web site for current offerings.

wingless to MBUSA - Initial Request
My plan has been to purchase a replacement vehicle for my '05 C320 Sports Coupe. I would LOVE to get another loaded six speed. I LOVE the vehicle. This model is PERFECT for my needs. I have been hoping and waiting for this model to return to the US. But, do to this NOT being available, I have been exploring my options, some from MB, all the rest from other marques.

At this time the US MB vehicles do NOT fit my needs. There are instead vehicles from other manufacturers that would be acceptable.

My first choice is still the six-speed C350 Sports Coupe. Can I get one, please? I am willing to wait a short time more, if this will become available.

Thank you for your consideration of my request.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The C-class coupe was indeed imported to USA for a while.

It should be obvious that the reason that no longer occurs is because it didn't sell.

Same with the C-class wagon.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by lkchris
The C-class coupe was indeed imported to USA for a while.

It should be obvious that the reason that no longer occurs is because it didn't sell.

Same with the C-class wagon.
+1

MB isn't going to import a model that won't make them any money.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
I asked them the same thing about a month ago:
"Are there any plans to bring the CLC (new C Class coupe) to America?"

They replied:
"Thank you for your recent internet inquiry.

We appreciate your interest in the Mercedes-Benz CLC, however there are currently no plans to offer the CLC in the U.S."
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
if you can get Europa to import the C coupe and sell A LOT of them, in no time MBUSA will bring it to the shores for half price
aah the good old days of the Gwag
Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 AM

This is the velour interior fabric that I'd like MBUSA to permit past our borders. Again, I had this fabric on a prior vehicle and it was outstanding.

To me, this looks WAY better than the leather-clad interior that was sent to our shores in the CLK63BS.

There are many owners that don't require the utility offered by the C-Coupe.

For example, I can easily transport Frank with no problems. That is, no tumbling of the seats, cargo cover in normal orientation and hatch closed, plus easy in and out. Other sedans or coupes don't appear to offer that type of utility.

My informal count reveals a greater quantity for two models of C-Coupes on-the-road than three models of the SLK. Somebody bought these C-Coupes from the dealerships...

Yes, MBUSA has the option to prohibit future domestic sales of fully engineered vehicles, configurations and options, that have been released for production. They can emulate the Acura business model. But, if someone wants an Acura, that's what they'll buy.

So, with no C-Coupe, MBUSA could at least permit a manual transmission with a larger engine. Or not.

The 2009 Challenger will be offered with the manual transmission. Brings back the muscle car memories.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by wingless
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of my request to permit the C-Class coupe to return to our shores. While I remain disappointed that my next vehicle will not be another new Mercedes-Benz, I am instead more excited about my decision to purchase my second choice, my first new BMW.
The wife and I have reviewed the options and she's agreed w/ my recommendation on a new M3 for my usage. We'll be trading her Porsche for that and selling or trading my coupe for a lightly used crossover vehicle for her. No problemo w/ that deal, from my end...

The BMW vehicles are superior to the vehicles MBUSA permits into the US. The most striking example of that dominance is the availability of a manual transmission in BMW vs auto-only for US MB vehicles.

The M3 meets most of my requirements.

One thing that clinched the M3 over the other three series was the availability of cloth interior, only in the M. The other BIG plus was the availability to delete the rear spoiler.

The only BMW ordering detriment is the M3 premium package has good stuff, like universal door opener and mirror compass, but it also includes the leather, which won't be on my vehicle. This deficiency is not enough to preclude selecting this vehicle, without the premium package option.

There are two design detriments for this vehicle. One is that the side markers have an integrated "M3" insignia, which does not look reasonable to debadge at those locations. The rear looks like no problem to debadge. The other is the hood bulge w/ a live and a dummy air intake. Sorry, but I've already got a bulge, so I don't need one in the hood. These deficiencies won't stop this order either.

The wife prefers the convertible, but I'm not attractive enough for a rag top, so no dice.

My preference is still a 2+2 hatchback coupe, from a size, appearance and utility perspective, but there aren't ANY of these rear-drive vehicles permitted in the US, so a M3 coupe is a good fall-back second choice.

The MBUSA restrictions and prohibitions pushed another new vehicle purchase to an alternate manufacturer / importer.