Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Hello, newbie here!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 12:13 PM

'11 VW GTI
Hello, newbie here!

Hi, new guy here from the Atlanta area (originally Northern VA). I'm currently car-shopping and a M-B may be in my future, I test drove a 2005 C55 AMG last week - me likey!

I've been driving a 2001 Intrepid R/T for the last 5 years, and it's time for something new(er) and sportier. I always had a sports car and/or bike before the Intrepid, and not the same one for more than two years, so I'm itching bad -lol. But I am married now and have a 3 y.o. daughter, so I need something sporty and practical (4 doors). I started a list of cars to consider a couple months back when I first got this itch and narrowed it down to these:
Infiniti G35
Mitsubishi Evo
Subaru STi
Mazdaspeed 6
Pontiac G8

I have test-driven all 5 of these, and they each have their pros and cons (of course). The EVO and STi are exciting cars to drive (the handling on the EVO is ridiculous!), but I don't care for cars that have to be revved to get going, I prefer more low and mid-range power. So I wonder about these as daily drivers. Plus, they are kinda boy-racer/rice burner cars (I'm 36). The speed6 was a pleasant surprise, it was roomy and comfortable, with a turbo 4 that acts more like a strong V6 than a peaky, turbo 4-banger. Plus it's AWD. The G35 is probably the most sensible choice, it looks good, has great performance (basically a 4-door Z), and Infiniti is offering killer lease deals right now. But something about it is just not getting the juices flowing like it should (maybe because there are too many out there?). I really like the G8 - aggressive styling, tons of room, and a killer engine! Very good handling and braking too, especially considering its weight - 4100 lbs.! It's a fast car, but I remember thinking later, "imagine what this car could do if it was 500 lbs. lighter?". Enter the C55. I hadn't kept up on car-related stuff much in the last 5 years, as I knew I wouldn't be in the market until the Intrepid was paid off, and must have missed these. I was browsing around C&D's website last week when I came across a comparision test of the S4, CTS-V, and C55. I couldn't believe the numbers on the C55! And when I read the specs more closely, I found what I had been looking for - a 362 HP V8 in a car under 3600 lbs., with handling and braking to boot. Plus beautiful styling, and M-B technology, safety, and cachet. Then I found a local one to test drive and loved it! Now to convince the wife............

Last edited by jwoods986; 10-01-2008 at 12:19 PM.