Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

I dont know what AMG to buy. Could use advise!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
... are always a good time.
I dont know what AMG to buy. Could use advise!

Hello,

This is my second thread and iif alll goes well it will be the begining of a great relationship with MB and MBWorld.

I am in "need" of a family car. Thinking of the C32, C55, CLK430... Maybe an E Class AMG? The "S" is too big. I think. I definitely am partial to Cabriolets.

From the pictures that I have seen many of the cars I like seem to only have four seatbelts. I would like a five seater.

I used to own an E39 M5 and would like something of that caliber. But an automatic is much more convenient since my wife doesnt drive manual. And this may end up being her car one day. Can we say, "911 Turbo"? But that isnt anytime in the near future.

My biggest concerns are that I will get a nice AMG and it will have a hidden history of being beat up and street raced. Something that was owned by some wealthy kid that didnt have a Civic Si or a WRX as a learner car to show off to their friends. I learned how to crash in a 1976 VW Rabbit. Yeah, I'm of that generation.

Am I over reacting? I certainly hope I am. But YouTube videos of standing burnouts and "donuts" in parking lots and drifting sessions on the dirt gives me the creeps.

So, now I need to decide on which MB to pursue. I really like the CLK430 Cabriolet in white. Funny, my wifes initials are C.L.K and her birthday is April 30th. Next would be the C32. Oh yes... I like 5 seaters.... for the in-laws.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Miguel
Old 10-04-2008, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Calspeed
Hello,

This is my second thread and iif alll goes well it will be the begining of a great relationship with MB and MBWorld.

I am in "need" of a family car. Thinking of the C32, C55, CLK430... Maybe an E Class AMG? The "S" is too big. I think. I definitely am partial to Cabriolets.

From the pictures that I have seen many of the cars I like seem to only have four seatbelts. I would like a five seater.

I used to own an E39 M5 and would like something of that caliber. But an automatic is much more convenient since my wife doesnt drive manual. And this may end up being her car one day. Can we say, "911 Turbo"? But that isnt anytime in the near future.

My biggest concerns are that I will get a nice AMG and it will have a hidden history of being beat up and street raced. Something that was owned by some wealthy kid that didnt have a Civic Si or a WRX as a learner car to show off to their friends. I learned how to crash in a 1976 VW Rabbit. Yeah, I'm of that generation.

Am I over reacting? I certainly hope I am. But YouTube videos of standing burnouts and "donuts" in parking lots and drifting sessions on the dirt gives me the creeps.

So, now I need to decide on which MB to pursue. I really like the CLK430 Cabriolet in white. Funny, my wifes initials are C.L.K and her birthday is April 30th. Next would be the C32. Oh yes... I like 5 seaters.... for the in-laws.

Miguel
AMG W210 ($15K to $25K) or AMG W211 ($30K to $40K) would fit your bill...seating for five in relative comfort. I've had the CLK430 and the C320 and they are on the smallish side.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a w203 cÖuper
Best answer is "whatever suits your needs."
Old 10-05-2008, 01:02 AM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
If you're looking for a family car, I would steer clear of the C classes--too small in the back. Definitely go for a W211 E55. Decent room and a killer motor.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRX STI
They all will feel different; just test drive em and pick what you like best! (The E55 is great!)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 PM

2005 E55 AMG
I was/am in the same situation, but I already have a SUV as primary... I was looking at/for ZO6 Corvettes, but the end purchased 2005 E55 but the fact that I have kids... Killer 4 door sedan that can go and stop and run... I still remember reading Road & Track's 10 Fastest Stock cars and it was the only 4 door sedan as I recall but my memory sucks... It was also listed above a F-360 again if my memory serves correct... Maybe someone on the boards can download it for me, but anyways I always wanted one... Drive one and you may get hooked... Best regards, Joseph
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From what you said, the only one that would work is a E55, CLK is 2+2, C may as well be too.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Calspeed
Hello,

Miguel
If you want the ultimate family car get a S600.Because of there size you should be able to pick up an 03/04 for little money. Don't bother with AMG's
they will be more money and no faster except the S65, which be a lot more
money.Sometimes I enjoy driving my S600 more than the SL55 and the CL65.
Good luck.