Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Valvoline Oil Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valvoline Oil Question

In my quest to find other 229.5 motor oils, I came across Valvoline 5w-40. My question is that since it appears that there are two versions of 5w-40 (MST and HST), how to know which one you are getting when the bottle only says 5w-40? I would like to order the oil from amazon, but I have no way of knowing which product it is.

Valvoline lists both versions on the data sheet: http://www.valvoline.com/products/Synpower.pdf

But there is only one listing for 5w-40 on the "sizes and grades" page (where they have the item #): http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=19

Also, since this is a 229.5 -40 weight oil (which also has Porsche approval), it should be AMG approved, but where would I find that information?

Since I will be using this in gasoline engines, I want to buy the HST forumula, but if the stuff of the shelf is MST I will probably go with the Mobil.

Many thanks to all for your help!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55
why don't you just go with quaker state european synthetic 5w40, its what all MB dealers in Canada use and its easy to find.

Last edited by Pronto; 10-12-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to update everyone, I have found the answer to my own question, all it took was a call to Valvoline.

The Synpower 5w-40 oil that is regularly available is the HST version, which I am very happy to hear. It turns out that the MST is not even sold in quart bottles.

I will be ordering a couple cases from amazon.com and will report on my findings, since the technical information I have read shows it to be preferable to the M1.