Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Help me choose!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose!

I’ve been looking for a 220 Coupe to replace my unloved C180 but as yet they’ve been few and far between.
I have however seen the following; any thoughts?

1996 MERCEDES E250 DIESEL ELEGANCE AUTO, P reg. (Frog eye), Brilliant Silver Metallic, contrasting Anthracite cloth interior, Automatic, Diesel, 17in AMG alloys, full colour, PAS, ABS, cruise control, front fogs, elec/glass sunroof, airbags, Walnut fascia/door cappings, rear head rests, tinted glass, elec/windows x4, elec/mirrors, quality radio cass, luxury Diesel Saloon, 110000 miles and FSH, excellent value . £8,999

1994 MERCEDES E300 DIESEL AUTO, L reg . (W124) 53000 miles, FMSH, in red, grey cloth interior, MoT'd, finance avail , warrantied. Like new, viewing highly recommended. £5,500

1990 Mercedes-Benz 300 GD 5-Door manual,
Metallic Silver, Central Locking, Front Electric Windows, Power Steering, Radio Cassette, Three Rear Head Rests, Light Guards, Driving Lamps, Headlamp Wash, Original Mud Flaps, Just 115000 Miles With Two Owners, Last Owner For Nine Years, Superbly Maintained, Just Serviced With New Front Wheel Bearings, New Mot Prior To Delivery, Free 12 Months Warranty, £5995.

My main priority are fuel costs, mainly due to it being almost £3.50 a gallon and on the increase. Performance isn’t an issue but reliability and longativity is.

I think my main problem is I don’t really know what I want, I like the ’96 E250 but I tend to think the newer Mercs aren’t built to the same standards as the older ones.

The 300 GD is in excellent condition, I like the individuality and its build but running costs scare me (what MPG do these return). A 4x4 would be useful in winter as I live in the country but I’ve always managed by just sticking a couple of bags of sand in the boot.

The E300 has the better history file (all MOTs, receipts etc.) and is low mileage, but is the 300D a better engine than the 250D or visa versa?

Any comments appreciated.