Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Alcantara?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Larry Sonsini

Alcantara?

I love the look and versatility of Alcantara, but what exactly is it and what are it's advantages to leather?

Is it more or less expensive (COGS not retail) than say nappa?

Are there specific performance advantages, or is it pure aesthetics?
Old 01-17-2003, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 : 2007 C230
Alcantara is a fake suede like on the seats of the Lexus IS300. It is supposed to wear and be more durable than real suede.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
I wonder if there are shops in america that will cover your whole interior with alcantara. I know CEC does some interior jobs but im sure its way too expensive.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I think it is cheaper than real suede. But doing your whole interior in ANYTHING, even vinyl, would be expensive (if done well, of course).

I'm, not sure you'd like your seats covered in it. It would be hard to slide into and out of your car.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Alcantara is a man-made suede look-alike that is used in several European cars, as well as being made into clothes, couches, etc. Like suede, it has a low pile that brushes directionally and will show different shadings of light.

My last Volvo had Montana leather seats with alcantara inserts on some of the seating surfaces. The inserts were not "sticky" but they were less slippery than the leather. They were also cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I like them and they look good.

I suspect that the nap will slowly wear out, but the fabrics used on seats are wear-tested for hundreds of thousands of simulated entries and exits.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SPARCO uses it on many seats. I like it.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:12 PM

the seats in my lightning are alcantara and leather. i'm not sure, but i would assume that it is cheaper than suede. it is very easy to clean but just doesn't have the same feel. feels more like microfiber than suede to me.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:36 PM

2002 HSV ClubSport R8
Lightbulb You got it!

Originally posted by jswedberg
It would be hard to slide into and out of your car.
That's the idea! Alcantara is used in the M3 and other sports cars/seats so that you don't slide around in your seat while your driving fast through corners, etc
Old 01-25-2003, 11:01 AM

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Mr. Sonsini... you should have checked out my car during Autofest

I have Alcantara roof liner and a pillars. I am currently working on getting a better deal from the shop I use to get door inserts and seat inserts done as well.

Alcantara is not very expensive in itself, but hard to find a qualified shop, willing to work with it. It is an acrylic fabric and next time you see me, check it out on the car. I got the idea a long time ago, becuase My Ranger Rover used a lot of Alcantara inserts and I liked it.. almost no wear and tear.

BTW there is a good shop in Bay Area that can and does work with this product and does a good job for a reasonable rate.

What do you want to cover on your car...headliner?