Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Buying a used car out of your local area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S600
Buying a used car out of your local area

I'm looking at buying a very specific '04-'06 W215/W220 over the coming months and assuming that when the right vehicle comes along I'm going to have to go out of town to get it. I've only ever bought used cars locally so understanding the logistics of the car buying process as an out of towner would be useful when the right one comes along.

I'd be looking to do a pre-purchase inspection so I presume I'd fly or drive up to take a look at the vehicle, do the PPI, come to an arrangement on price and arrange shipping before going home and sorting out financing and getting the vehicle shipped.

How do you people do it?

Also what sites do you use to search for used cars? I've been using cars.com, autotrader.com and the listings on motortrend. Thanks!

Last edited by W210 Guy; 02-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
Hi,
I've got 30 years of experience buying and selling cars although not long distance, so maybe I can help. First of all that car is very new, so worn out parts should not be an issue. Check carefully for accident damage, and check for the factory EPA tags etc on the radiator top support. Body shops rarely install new ones. Contact a dealer and run the VIN for recalls, repairs, etc. Use the internet to find an MB shop to check the car for you.You can call the shop and arrange to have them check out the car and use your credit card for convenient payment. Some times car owners glasses are rose colored as to the condition of their car. A shop can give an unbiased opinion of paint and body. If you feel comfortable enough, you don't even have to see the car. You contact escrow. com, and they will hold the money until car arrives as agreed. their fee is reasonable for the service. You can then contact a shipping company to have the car shipped. I just shipped a car from San Fran to Birmingham, Alabama for $975.00 with Angel's Transport out of Redding, Ca. I can provide you with a website listing all transporters. BE CAREFULL. There are some bad transporters out there.
Good luck