Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

WARNING! Please Read!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
WARNING! Please Read!

Hey everyone,

I apologize for such an obnoxious heading. I just found out today that my "warranty" company and broker screwed me majorly. First off, my 2002 CL600 had a "convenient" active body control error message telling me to visit the workshop, which I did expediently. One of the valves and pumps needs to be replaced--approximately 1 day in the shop and $1500. I call/email/try to contact my warranty broker (autowarrantybroker.com) and come to find out via the underwriter and administering company (First Warranty Group) that I was sold a fraudulent warranty and that the company has vanished. Almost $2000 later in paying off the warranty I come to realize this. In any case, my dealer is somewhat sympathetic to my situation and is "knocking" off some of the price. Also, my service guy was telling me that a bunch of the major after market warranty companies have or are going bankrupt. Ridiculous. So, if anyone out there is intending on purchasing an aftermarket warranty, be very careful, and if possible buy it through your respective dealership...at least you'll have a tangible office in sight to communicate any grievances. At this rate, some of the stealerships might go under...but not the big, black Benzes.

Such a sad predicament that these companies not only take the customer's money as well as their trust and peace of mind. Whatever happened to trust, honor, and loyalty? Is that too much to ask?

By the way, before I bought my warranty, I thoroughly researched my options because MBUSA would not warranty a 8-9 year old car. I also consulted the Better Business Bureau and other watchdog, monitoring agencies. So much for that.

Sincerely,

Mohammed
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 S550
Originally Posted by CoupeLeicht600
Hey everyone,

I apologize for such an obnoxious heading. I just found out today that my "warranty" company and broker screwed me majorly. First off, my 2002 CL600 had a "convenient" active body control error message telling me to visit the workshop, which I did expediently. One of the valves and pumps needs to be replaced--approximately 1 day in the shop and $1500. I call/email/try to contact my warranty broker (autowarrantybroker.com) and come to find out via the underwriter and administering company (First Warranty Group) that I was sold a fraudulent warranty and that the company has vanished. Almost $2000 later in paying off the warranty I come to realize this. In any case, my dealer is somewhat sympathetic to my situation and is "knocking" off some of the price. Also, my service guy was telling me that a bunch of the major after market warranty companies have or are going bankrupt. Ridiculous. So, if anyone out there is intending on purchasing an aftermarket warranty, be very careful, and if possible buy it through your respective dealership...at least you'll have a tangible office in sight to communicate any grievances. At this rate, some of the stealerships might go under...but not the big, black Benzes.

Such a sad predicament that these companies not only take the customer's money as well as their trust and peace of mind. Whatever happened to trust, honor, and loyalty? Is that too much to ask?

By the way, before I bought my warranty, I thoroughly researched my options because MBUSA would not warranty a 8-9 year old car. I also consulted the Better Business Bureau and other watchdog, monitoring agencies. So much for that.

Sincerely,

Mohammed

This is why you buy a factory MBUSA warranty. Hopefully, MB stays afloat.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Your predicament is unfortunately not that uncommon. These companies are not regulated in most areas. Many but not all are scams. They go out of business and start again under a new name. They in fact are really not warranty companies but in reality insurance companies. However if they billed themselves as insurance companies they would be regulated by most States. I have heard many, many horror stories from people I know and even car dealers. Sorry for your misfortune but you should realize that if MBUSA would not warranty the car why would anyone particularly for a price that is much less than others. By the way, The better Business Bureau is a for profit business with no teeth what so ever. Useless for the consumer. They receive their funding from "member" businesses.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
My CL had was out of factory warranty at the time I purchased and barely so. Therefore, I had no choice to buy an extended aftermarket warranty. When I bought the car from the Bentley dealership in Chicago, the warranty they provided was descent. However, after that ran out, I had to purchase another because the vehicle now has over 90K miles on it. I figured I would be somewhat better off with some kind of warranty than nothing at all the next time I have something pop up.

It is really sad that these companies like to screw people over. I guess not everyone has a conscience or even remorse for that matter. But, I'm shopping around for another and this time I will take the necessary precautions (even though I had done so last too). I just wanted to share my experience with those people who are not familiar with the warranty scammers out there. Hopefully something helpful can be had to someone from my misfortune. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it, or CL's...with all the time the Benz has been in the shop, I might as well become an MB Technician.

Mohammed