Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

S600 question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 M35
S600 question

Hello, I'm new to this forum never having owned a MB. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a used S600 in the 2003-2005 model range as this seems to be the area with the most bang for the buck. I am looking for some helpful feedback on the pitfalls of these particular vehicles to be on the lookout for. I would appreciate any constructive advise you would be willing to give. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's a car for the superrich.

Entry cost for a used one is less, but maintenance cost is the same.

Don't let anyone without Mercedes technical training touch it.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Smile

Originally Posted by Garrethe
Hello, I'm new to this forum never having owned a MB. I am toying with the idea of purchasing a used S600 in the 2003-2005 model range as this seems to be the area with the most bang for the buck. I am looking for some helpful feedback on the pitfalls of these particular vehicles to be on the lookout for. I would appreciate any constructive advise you would be willing to give. Thanks in advance.
Unless you need an armored car, you'd have too many ponies to get torque and speed for any defensive driving high speed use. It's a grand salon, the V12 is awesome, but the V8's can also give you about the same limit factory power. If you are going to go for it, I'd go for the 2005 -even 2006 may be kinder to the wallet due to lease expiration exchange in a buyers' market-. But, have the budget or be ready to work on it yourself, specially if you pile up the miles and service is often enough. Regardless, have the unit checked by a competent S600 super technician -not a grease monkey-, and get in writing what he finds. Also, try to find the car at a dealer with CPO tag (Certified Previous Ownership), and look at the maintenance and repairs record. If it is supposed to be a keeper, buy an Extended Warranty. Above all, read everything before signing, and check the unit before money changes hands and you drive away.

Cheers, and best wishes, JV
Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Good luck, I had actually considered this myself. I would not recommend a 2003 as they used a differerent navigation system. 2004-2006 should be your focus. I would recommend an extended warranty as well, the car should be good, but a V12 can be quite costly if something went wrong.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 M35
Originally Posted by JoeVal
Unless you need an armored car, you'd have too many ponies to get torque and speed for any defensive driving high speed use. It's a grand salon, the V12 is awesome, but the V8's can also give you about the same limit factory power. If you are going to go for it, I'd go for the 2005 -even 2006 may be kinder to the wallet due to lease expiration exchange in a buyers' market-. But, have the budget or be ready to work on it yourself, specially if you pile up the miles and service is often enough. Regardless, have the unit checked by a competent S600 super technician -not a grease monkey-, and get in writing what he finds. Also, try to find the car at a dealer with CPO tag (Certified Previous Ownership), and look at the maintenance and repairs record. If it is supposed to be a keeper, buy an Extended Warranty. Above all, read everything before signing, and check the unit before money changes hands and you drive away.

Cheers, and best wishes, JV
Defensive driving what in the world is that? Anyways I will share my thought process. I grew up in the pony car era. I have played around with the idea of buying a new Shelby Mustang. Yea, I know a totally different vehicle but it brings back thoughts of those bygone years. Anyways, at the same time im not getting young and I REALLY like big cruisers. I drove an E350 which is the same size as the M35 I currently have. I personally consider both a midsize vehicle. Which brings me to the S class. Then I thought, HEY why don't I combine the power of the pony car era with the size of a cruiser and have both inside a world class car. Made sense to me, but that's why I'm running my idea by you "experts". Let you shoot holes in my idea. Anyways I'm seeing these vehicles in the $30,000.00 range which to my way of thinking is cheap. I'm not "superrich" but I'm not a pauper either. Would I be better off hunting maybe an S55?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Garrethe
Defensive driving what in the world is that? Anyways I will share my thought process. I grew up in the pony car era. I have played around with the idea of buying a new Shelby Mustang. Yea, I know a totally different vehicle but it brings back thoughts of those bygone years. Anyways, at the same time im not getting young and I REALLY like big cruisers. I drove an E350 which is the same size as the M35 I currently have. I personally consider both a midsize vehicle. Which brings me to the S class. Then I thought, HEY why don't I combine the power of the pony car era with the size of a cruiser and have both inside a world class car. Made sense to me, but that's why I'm running my idea by you "experts". Let you shoot holes in my idea. Anyways I'm seeing these vehicles in the $30,000.00 range which to my way of thinking is cheap. I'm not "superrich" but I'm not a pauper either. Would I be better off hunting maybe an S55?
I would keep your options open, look for the S55 and S600 from 2004-2006. I think you can find a steal. Probably can get a great car for the price of a new C-Class
Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
I would go for the S55 over S600.
V12 engine will be more expensive and harder to work on. Everything else is about the same.