Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Help! Collect sales tax for CA when buying in NY???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009 | 03:27 PM

Help! Collect sales tax for CA when buying in NY???

Hi,

Does anyone know if I am buying a car from NY state and ship it to California. The dealer in NY told me that they have to collect the sales tax and registration up front and then will mail the licnese plate to me. When the car arrive in Californa, i just need to drive the car to DMV for VIN vertification and show them the proof of receipt I paid for sales tax and registartion at NY dealer. Is it suppose to work this way??? I just want to make sure that I will not be double tax when I registered the car in California.

Anyone done that before?

Thanks in advance!
Mugen
Old 04-30-2009 | 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by us_matrix
Hi,

Does anyone know if I am buying a car from NY state and ship it to California. The dealer in NY told me that they have to collect the sales tax and registration up front and then will mail the licnese plate to me. When the car arrive in Californa, i just need to drive the car to DMV for VIN vertification and show them the proof of receipt I paid for sales tax and registartion at NY dealer. Is it suppose to work this way??? I just want to make sure that I will not be double tax when I registered the car in California.

Anyone done that before?

Thanks in advance!
Mugen
That sounds suspect. The way I've seen it work is that the car is issued temporary tags in NY and sales tax is waived because the car is being exported from the state. When it arrives in CA, you pay license fees and use tax (the sales tax equivalent) at the DMV. The use tax depends on your county of residence, for example. I wouldn't trust a NY dealer to compute the proper use tax or license fees. Is this a new car? Are you sure it's CA smog certified?
Old 04-30-2009 | 03:58 PM

Hi,

The car is 50 states certifited. That's what I thought but they said they need to collect first otherwsie they will not able to ship.

Has anyone done that recently?

Originally Posted by whoover
That sounds suspect. The way I've seen it work is that the car is issued temporary tags in NY and sales tax is waived because the car is being exported from the state. When it arrives in CA, you pay license fees and use tax (the sales tax equivalent) at the DMV. The use tax depends on your county of residence, for example. I wouldn't trust a NY dealer to compute the proper use tax or license fees. Is this a new car? Are you sure it's CA smog certified?
Old 05-02-2009 | 02:29 PM

C350 Elegance
Question

Originally Posted by us_matrix
Hi,
The car is 50 states certifited. That's what I thought but they said they need to collect first otherwsie they will not able to ship.
Has anyone done that recently?
There are two ways you can get it, and both are with the car to be ready to hit the roads.

a) Pay New York taxes, showing NY residence, and have it registered in State.

b) Pay California taxes and registration to the dealer. But doing this the car should be able to leave the dealership ready for the road.

c) If the dealer did not have to collect Ca sales tax, and you pay it when you register the car, he would have to be permitted to issue a temporary tag (which you would pay in addition to the future permanent tag expenses).

I think the dealer's method is kosher and the best for you, you'll get the cars and the permanent plates with title and registration. Check your cost at any dealership in your county, kick a few tires and play dumb, see what they tell you registration and taxes will cost you. This or getting into CaDMV web site will answer your doubts properly.

Cheers, JV
Old 05-05-2009 | 03:17 AM

I did b and paid california tax and registraton to the dealer in NY. Here is my question. When the car arrive in california. First thing i have to do is get the smog check done and drive the car to DMV for Vin verification. Is that all I have to do in DMV? Since the Dealer already collect CA tax and reg fee. But how does DMV knows dealer from NY already paid the california tax and registraion fee?
How do I get CA license plate and registration paper from DMV?

Originally Posted by JoeVal
There are two ways you can get it, and both are with the car to be ready to hit the roads.

a) Pay New York taxes, showing NY residence, and have it registered in State.

b) Pay California taxes and registration to the dealer. But doing this the car should be able to leave the dealership ready for the road.

c) If the dealer did not have to collect Ca sales tax, and you pay it when you register the car, he would have to be permitted to issue a temporary tag (which you would pay in addition to the future permanent tag expenses).

I think the dealer's method is kosher and the best for you, you'll get the cars and the permanent plates with title and registration. Check your cost at any dealership in your county, kick a few tires and play dumb, see what they tell you registration and taxes will cost you. This or getting into CaDMV web site will answer your doubts properly.

Cheers, JV
Old 05-05-2009 | 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Gee, why don't you contact the California DMV with your questions?

Not too likely one of their employees is on this forum.
Old 05-05-2009 | 06:53 PM

Finally able to spoke to DMV with clear answers. Thanks

Originally Posted by lkchris
Gee, why don't you contact the California DMV with your questions?

Not too likely one of their employees is on this forum.