Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

350SLC question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350SLC question

Hello, everyone. I am currently looking at buying a 1978 350SLC with a 4-speed manual transmission. I live in Connecticut where we have vastly differing inspection rules for vehicles manufactured for American safety/emissions specs and those that are not (if it is, then there is no safety inspection, if it is not manufactured for American specs, then there is a full-blown safety inspection). Anyhow, I can't find too much information about the 350SLC and I am hearing conflicting reports as to whether it conforms to American specifications. Does anyone know the absolute truth?
Also, the price on the car is rather low and the hood and fenders are taken from another car (so the car is multi-colored). Is there anything I should look out for? Should I just avoid this car? (Note: the mechanics are perfect, and the interior is also perfect).

Thanks a lot

-Michael Nehring
Old 03-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at the VIN if it reads WDB126 037xxxxxxxx or WDB107xxxxx etc - then it's a EURO. However all EUROs had to meet DOT to legally get in. You can get a letter by contacting DOT to attest to this fact but the mods are not major at all - side door beams, taillights etc. I can't imagine anyone REMOVING a door beam. After that emissions are a breeze if it has good valves and rings (compression). You may also be in luck if it entered in EPA exempt - you can find that out by contacting EPA. What this means is take my car it is a 1980 500SEL - EPA exempt - so Illinois cannot force me to put on any pollution controls whatsoever!! They don't even bother to look. However I do have to meet emissions and that's a quick lean drop - I have very good compression (valve job)