Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Buying tips on 250TD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying tips on 250TD

I've seen a very nice 98 (S reg.) C-Class 250TD estate for £10495 at a local garage. Although the car has covered 115000 miles it's in excellent condition inside and out with full dealer service history and one previous owner. Its a classic but does seem to have alot of extras, CD changer, alarm, wood interiour etc. Not only is it below list price but I was also offered £3500 for my car (which is around twice as much as I'm getting offered elsewere).
As it seems to good to be true I was wondering if theirs any major items to check or faults to look out for?

Old 01-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you taken this car for a spin?
Old 01-26-2002, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil leak

Went to have a good check and test run today, the cars not as good as first thought.
The body and interiour are very nice but on close inspection the front valance has a crack, one door won't lock and the service has been done by one of those budget service centres (the ones where the mechanics seem to all be McDonald cast-offs).
My main concern was that underneath I found a great deal of oil which seems to have run down the side of the engine from near the injectors. Odviously they've try to hide this by steam cleaning the engine bay.
There is however just in a nice 48,000mile Elegance estate for £13,495 with A/C, cruise and alloys which is in very good condition except for one or two small stone chips on the bonnet and a slightly stained carpet in the boot (not yet valeted so may come out). The history on this is all by an official Mercedes Dealer and it seems to have been well looked after. However mysteriously my p/x car is now only worth £2,500 to them!
I've made an offer and left it with them.