Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

German Horsepower Wars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes!
German Horsepower Wars

Germany seems to be at the forefront (for the most part with England and Italy alongside) when putting out mass-produced high-performance vehicles. Inevitably, as technology progresses, cars will become faster, more powerful, etc. For example, even within a year (from 2002-2003), Benz tuned the AMGs and 600s from high 300 horsepower, to almost 500 hp (493 to be exact). Nevertheless, Bimmer did got the drift and started producing 500hp beasts as well. Personally, I really doubt that BMW would be able to outpower the AMGs with their M-series. They don't seem interested to build a 600+ hp super saloon like the S65. Only Bentley, Ferrari, and Porsche might take a stab at it (if they haven't already). But then again, they are ultra exclusive automobile manufacturers whereas Daimler dominates all kinds of auto categories.

I wonder, since there are 65s now, will there ever be a S700, SL700, CL700 or higher just to keep up with the demand? I know about the SL73, but I'm talking about mass-production not just one rare vehicle.

But then again, everyone is going green nowadays and that might temporarily force us to sacrifice performance for a lesser carbon footprint.

I guess I'm interested in where the future of automobiles is headed.