Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Benz..The Most Expensive Car To Own

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Benz..The Most Expensive Car To Own

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...d=family-autos

Ha ha congrats to MB for making four of the top ten most expensive cars to own and maintain. In their defense, all the Benz cars listed are high performance cars and as a rule of thumb, if its high performance, it costs a lot to maintain (the exception being the Acura NSX).
Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 PM

CLK350
Nine of those top ten cars cost six figures just to purchase, with the last at $99,777. Most people willing to pay that kind of money for a car aren't worried about cost of upkeep. I wonder how MB's compare when you use the less expensive models, especially against Acura and Lexus, or even the Hyundai Genesis, their new luxury offering?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by DesertBenz
Nine of those top ten cars cost six figures just to purchase, with the last at $99,777. Most people willing to pay that kind of money for a car aren't worried about cost of upkeep. I wonder how MB's compare when you use the less expensive models, especially against Acura and Lexus, or even the Hyundai Genesis, their new luxury offering?
Yeah as I mentioned in their defense, all of the four cars in the top ten are AMG performance cars, and the SL65 Black basically being a street version of a race car.

To go off your question on the less expensive models, the sad part is it's still going to be fairly high. I realize they were taking into the equation gas mileage and other factors for the five years, but brands like BMW that offer four years of free maintenance will rock that survey, only having one year of servicing included in their numbers. Shame Benz stopped doing the four years of free servicing, even if it was "added" into the base price as many state. I always get such good deals on my cars that its almost like getting the servicing free at that point.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
"Pay to play" is the operative phrase.

For "cheap to own," see Tata.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM

CLK350
"Pay to Play" - You got that right!

Even cars you wouldn't expect to can be very expensive for repairs. I have a 2000 Pathfinder that needed a new water pump (located at the back of the engine, of course) to the tune of $1,200 because I told them to replace the timing belt while they were back there, and recently it needed a new radiator for almost as much because you can't weld plastic. Even though parts aren't that expensive, it's very labor-intensive work.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I got to thinking about this article and I'm going to call them out on this one. There's no way you can tell me a Benz regardless of the model, is more expensive to own and maintain than say a Bugatti or a Lamborghini. So I thought I would do some looking of my own into this "True Cost To Own" feature on Edmonds.com. It's a joke, cars like the Bugatti give you a nice message saying "True Cost To Own is not yet available for this vehicle". The writer of that article was a complete tool for not double checking his story. Not to mention that if your going to do a comparison like that, you need to explain the exact perimeters your going to use. Take for instance the SL65 Black Series that placed number one on that list, its a limited run car and to that point, I'm not entirely sure you can even order one now if you wanted to. Guess I should fault myself too, I should have checked into the story before I posted it here as well, this story isn't worthy of us giving it net traffic lol.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yugos only
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...d=family-autos

Ha ha congrats to MB for making four of the top ten most expensive cars to own and maintain. In their defense, all the Benz cars listed are high performance cars and as a rule of thumb, if its high performance, it costs a lot to maintain (the exception being the Acura NSX).
+1 on the NSX. The maintenance costs on my NSX are somewhere in the TL range long term. Short term (oil changes, etc.) they are like a Honda Civic.

Insurance is cheaper too. Some companies will not insure an AMG.