Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

is CPO warranty transferrable after car has been declared salvage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is CPO warranty transferrable after car has been declared salvage

Ok Here is the situation. A Mercedes e550 with a CPO warranty good til 2012 was stolen. Wasn't found after a couple of weeks and the insurance company declared it salvage and went through process to get owner new car. Eventually car was found and insurance car company sold it through auction to a dealer..and dealer eventually sold it to a customer. Now I know CPO warranties are transferable when a car is sold but what if the title has been declared "Salvage" or "reconditioned"..etc?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
No way, cpo is not even transferable even if it wasnt salvaged in your situation. It would need to be sold by an MB dealer or private party and I doubt a dealer bought a salvaged car. Any issue on a carfax/title/vmi will exclude the car from the certification process.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 09-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok that's what I thought as well. So how does the MB dealer that does the service for the car know that? Because the local mb dealer told my friend(while I was standing next to him) that his car still has a CPO warranty even after explaining sitution. I should also mention the car had no damage whatsoever on it when it was picked up. It was branded salvage simply because it was stolen and deemed "lost".

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
No way, cpo is not even transferable even if it wasnt salvaged in your situation. It would need to be sold by an MB dealer or private party and I doubt a dealer bought a salvaged car. Any issue on a carfax/title/vmi will exclude the car from the certification process.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I can't really speak for what he told you, but what he stated is not true. Maybe if you guys are still doing the work in your friends name they could get away with it, but the CPO will not transfer to your name. If it is a service advisor that told you this it's possible he does not care since he will be making money off the repairs charged to MB by the warranty. I have CPO on my car as well, but it's not in my name I asked if it could be transferred and it was not possible. I work for MB so they would have done it for me if it was an option. From an ethical stand point I never asked it if was possible to cheat the system if needed. I am sure it possible, but I would not try it myself.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 09-23-2009 at 05:12 PM.