Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

European Warrantys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question European Warrantys

I beleave cars now sold in European countrys come with a PAN-EUROPEAN warranty. I can buy an new UK spec. Mercedes (RHD with the correct lights e.t.c.) imported for allmost 25% less than if bought from a UK dealer.
As we (the UK) are part of Europe, does DCUK have no choice but to honour a PAN-EUROPEAN warranty?
Has anyone had any experiance in this area?

Old 01-30-2002, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you import a car from Europe, MBUK have to honour the first years warranty. I think you can purchase additional yearly warranties after the first year is up.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Im suprised you can buy at such a discount. The difference between a RHD car bought in Europe and a RHD car in the UK, for the basic model are small (a couple of percent). There does seem to be about 30% difference on some of the options though, and of course a week Euro will make it cheaper to import as MB UK has to forward buy Euro's it is not as dynamic in reflecting changing exchange rates.

- MB was one of the first UK luxury makers to actually do a semi-decent job of adjusting the prices to stop completely ripping off UK customers.

Remember, UK models come with a bunch of stuff that isnt standard on the EU delivered models, [things like alarm, wheel locks etc]. UK also cars come with a longer warranty [I think its 2 years] with breakdown rescue/recovery, I figure thats worth about 500-600 pounds.

Also, you are probably comparing a discounted EU price with a RRP UK price - if you want to get some idea of UK discounted prices, and make sure that the "rhd" surcharge has been added if your just comparing the price lists.

Also, the dealers here do not like to take non UK supplied cars in as part-ex etc, and so on the second hand market are worth a litlle less (but then you pay a little less new, so that makes sense)

There are brokers in the UK who source UK cars at a discount, also, its worth looking at people like www.trade-sales.co.uk who have lots of new MB;s probably imported at good prices, and of course many MB dealers will negotiate some discount.

Dont get me wrong, there definetly are savings to be made and if I didnt like my UK dealer so much Id look into importing or buying from a non dealer.

Last edited by Richard; 01-30-2002 at 12:33 PM.