Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes dealer demands I have the car in to get a new key.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 11:51 AM

CLK 320
Mercedes dealer demands I have the car in to get a new key.

Is this %100 true? They refuse to make me a key w/o the car. So I'd have to have it towed from my underground parking garage all the way to the dealer.
Roadside won't cover it and they are claiming it's the only way to get a ket made. I was told they could do KEY NEXT and get me a key, but they say that's changed. Does any one know the truth? This dealer is ALWAYS trying to nickel and time me saying it's the "only way"

Please help

Ryan
Old 02-05-2010 | 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by NOMO
Is this %100 true? They refuse to make me a key w/o the car. So I'd have to have it towed from my underground parking garage all the way to the dealer.
Roadside won't cover it and they are claiming it's the only way to get a ket made. I was told they could do KEY NEXT and get me a key, but they say that's changed. Does any one know the truth? This dealer is ALWAYS trying to nickel and time me saying it's the "only way"

Please help

Ryan
How do you think they are going to sync the key with the ECU - by the good graces of God?

And I'm pretty sure they're not "nickel and timing" you - if anything, nickel and DIMING is what you were going for.

And why would roadside cover it? I assume that there is nothing wrong with the car and that you just lost the key, correct?

You're the one nickel and diming.
Old 02-05-2010 | 12:10 PM

CLK 320
Well smart ***, this is from a Senior Techs mouth

well.. with Benz, you only need to stick the key in the ignition and let it do the work itself.. the car recognizes the key and that it was already set up for that car when it was ordered from the warehouse/distributor. (Most of the local stuff comes from the Ft Worth distribution center). This is not for all Benz of course because with some options such as keyless-go (push-button start) and some newer stuff you need to set/teach-in certain systems to recognize the key and work properly however the car should still start.. Only real problems I ran into were putting new keys in the old W163 ML's where you had to have the computer and had to go through a weird ignition sequence and such.
Old 02-05-2010 | 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...tedDocId=10448
Old 02-05-2010 | 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Yes it's true and the dealers are audited to make sure they are in compliance. All employees handling keys had to sign waivers stating they understand and can be terminated unless they strictly follow the guidelines above.
Old 03-05-2010 | 02:05 PM

2008 ML320CDI
Per the link Kent put for the document, all the owner needs to do is present registration and drivers license. I know because I had to replace one of my keys in my 1997E300d. It also states "When any of these TRPs are delivered, the dealer must install them in their own workshop and verify proper function. One exception is if the vehicle cannot be moved; in such cases, the dealer may dispatch an employee to the vehicle to install and code the TRP."

Sounds like the dealer isnt very customer service oriented. I would Call MBUSA and see what their response , and quote the document listed in Kent's posting.
Old 03-15-2010 | 09:24 PM

2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
Per the link Kent put for the document, all the owner needs to do is present registration and drivers license. I know because I had to replace one of my keys in my 1997E300d. It also states "When any of these TRPs are delivered, the dealer must install them in their own workshop and verify proper function. One exception is if the vehicle cannot be moved; in such cases, the dealer may dispatch an employee to the vehicle to install and code the TRP."

Sounds like the dealer isnt very customer service oriented. I would Call MBUSA and see what their response , and quote the document listed in Kent's posting.
+1

I needed a key, since my C32 only came with one. All I had to do was prove that I was the new owner of the car with the documets listed above. The bank is really the owner, but you get the point. They gave me a call a few days later, and I went in and got my key.
Old 03-16-2010 | 08:11 PM

SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
I bought two keys for my ML at the dealer with registration and license. I did not have ML with me. Those keys were expensive

Then I bought two for my 210 online by scanning registration and license to my online parts house. I saved a ton of money too.

If you buy parts online, contact your vendor and see if they can do it for you. If you don't buy online - then you should try buymbparts.biz and call them up. ask for Rusty or Tom.