Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

First Car Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 E63S Sedan
First Car Suggestions?

Hello all,
As a 15 year old looking to save up to buy a car, I came here for advice. I will stop at nothing to buy a Mercedes-Benz, used is fine.

My budget limit is $10,000. 4MATIC is a must, as I live in snowy Colorado. I also want a V8 engine, preferably, but anything else is fine (I just want to get a good punch of power when I push the pedal hard). Everything I've found so far is between model years 1992-2003. I'm also looking for a sedan, but any other body style is fine. Low mileage is of course preferred. None of the cars I've looked at have navigation but again, this is purely optional, and I can live without it.

Looking at Craigslist.com, I found a 2000 E430 4MATIC with 100K miles on it for $9000. But this was the only car I found which specified the above criteria. Does anyone know if there are any other MBs which match my desires, and where I can find them? And what does the reliability of cars from those model years look like?

Also, is the 2000 E430 4MATIC a good deal, and most importantly, a good car?

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,
Benz_Guy

Last edited by Benz_Guy; 03-07-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Here are some things to consider -

Only allocate 80% of your budget for the purchase price. Set aside 20% for after purchase expenses. When buying a used car there always seems to be something needed/wanted.

If you are new to the brand try to find someone who is experienced such as an independent MB mechanic to inspect any cars you are close to deciding on. These are luxury cars which sold north of $50-60K when new. They may sell for 1/4 that now but the maintenance and repair costs have not changed. If you can or can learn to do some of the routine maintenance and simple repairs the cost of ownership is bearable. If you must go to the dealer all the time, you will probably regret your choice.

Search for a thread in the W210 forum using 'Common Problems'. It's a thread in which owners commented on the problems they experienced. I don't mean to scare you away only to educate you so that when inspecting a prospective purchase you can ask intelligent questions. Remember most owners won't experience any serious problems.

From everything I've learned and experienced, the W210 is a reliable car and a pleasure to drive. They get quite good gas mileage when driven reasonably. My 3.2l V6 gets 18-19 around town and 29-30 on the highway. The 4.3l w/ 4MATIC will not do as well but there are trade-offs.

High mileage is not quite as bad on an MB as other cars. They are built to last. 200-300K is not unheard of. A lot depends on how well the car has been cared for. Seek out a car with good service records that show the owner(s) have serviced the car according to factory schedules and attended to maintenance/repairs as needed. Cosmetic appearance is less important. Sellers put more attention into cosmetics (detailing) because buyers mistakenly assume that if the cosmetics are good, the maintenance must be as well.

Take your time and don't buy the first one you see. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Make the seller let you take the car to a Mercedes dealer for a prepurchase inspection. Make an appointment before you go. Ask the price. Find out if the car has service records.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' MB CLK320
Like these guys pointed out, make sure everything's checked before you buy the car, and don't buy the first one you see, I almost made that mistake before... I was shopping for my first car too, and I really liked this one car (a 98 740i) but my dad said it had hidden problems. However I didn't wanna listen cause it was my first car, and I was blinded by the excitement that prevented me from seeing what my dad wanted me to see. (Car had 2 lights, a DSC light and some other light that I don't remember), and the owner was sketchy (didn't give a name, didn't tell us to meet at his house) anyway I digress. Mercedes- Benz cars are mostly always taken care of depending on how many owners and who owned the car. I've seen tons of cars in my local craigslist that are so badly taken care of. If you see a one owner, or 2 owner car take a look at it, but make sure to save at least 20 percent for maintenance/ repairs that the car may need. I remember my CLK costed like around 250 for one of the inspections when it needed a tune- up. My mothers friend has an E430 4Matic, and I have heard nothing but good things about it, but gas is gonna be hell, being a V8 and all. An E320 has a good engine as well, don't let the smaller engine discourage you from looking at it, you'd be surprised by how much power its got. You can try autotrader as well for cars, but private sellers are great (however you gotta watch for scams on craigslist). Also, when you do get the car, take care of it, use the gas that it requires and keep on the maintenance schedule.

BTW i hope your paying some of this car, lol.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 E63S Sedan
I am definitely paying for 50% or more of this car, plus all gas money associated with it. The 2000 E430 has been taken off the site, and considering the prices of gas these days I have decided that an E320 4MATIC or similar is fine with me.

The only MY I have found is 1998 and 2000, and from my experience these were some of the worst years in terms of reliability and quality. What do you all think?

Thanks again.