Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

AMG Factory Visit - April 20th 2010

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 AMG and CLK63 Black Series
AMG Factory Visit - April 20th 2010

If you are ever in Germany with some free time, I can thoroughly recommend the AMG Factory Tour in Affalterbach. As a result of a favor from my local Mercedes-Benz dealership in San Jose (Beshoff Motors), I headed to the factory with a couple of my brothers-in-law on April 20th for what turned out to be a fascinating visit.

AMG is very proud of its history and it's clear that Mercedes gives them significant autonomy and freedom to pursue their own direction. The tour begins with the AMG story, beautifully illustrated with some of their most beatiful creations and then takes you to the fabrication halls where they build your engines with such care and attention.

I was struck by the friendliness of everyone, including the busy technicians, and the sense of energy and enthusiasm that everyone exhibited. Don't worry if you don't speak German, the guide will speak excellent English and has a phenomenal knowledge of the production processes. You are guaranteed to have a wonderful time.

The AMG Performance Studio seems to be mis-named in my opinion. It's quite clear that the cars already have the performance, but what the Studio really does is customize the vehicles to their new owners' tastes. The Lamborghini Orange E63 that was shown in a separate post in this forum was there and really is as phenomenal as the pictures suggest (though I'm not sure it'd be the color scheme for me).

Also, I'm not sure how long it's going to be in the lobby area, but the AMG motorcycle created by the Orange County mob (Jesse James and his extended family), and shown on TLC, is also on display.

I hope you have a chance to go and experience this place - well worth the time.

All my photos are posted on Flickr

Simon
Old 05-14-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C Class
those are some awsome pics
i am trying to save up and go travelling for a bit in Europe and will have to put make a detour there