Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

cost of brake job on CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cost of brake job on CLK

I've called around a couple of places and recieved widely ranging quotes on brake jobs.

I'm curious as to what folks have paid in the past for full brake work, front and rear on their CLKs. I've got an 04 320.

thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
The parts are pretty much the same price assuming you want OE replacements so it's mostly the scope of work and the labor rate.

MB uses 'disposable' brake components. Relax, what I mean is that the pads and rotors have a minimum thickness spec. When they reach that spec they are replaced. So no turning the rotors like some cars. When the pads are due you will get a pad sensor warning on the display. Actually at that point there is about 2.5mm of thickness left. A safety margin so you can schedule an appointment or make it home from a trip. The rotors are measured with a special caliper for the purpose. Front rotors last thru about 2-3 sets of pads depending on your driving style. Rear pads and rotors last much longer since the front does most of the braking.

So what I'm getting at in a long winded way is that a price quote doesn't mean much unless you know what's needed. Changing just the front or rear pads at the low end and pads and rotors front and back on the high. Most common work needed would be pads at one end or other but you have to inspect to know for sure.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 PM

SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
You really can do this job yourself. I suggest using all Akebono pads - you probably have a brake dust issue and using these pads all but eliminates the dust issue.

Fronts are about 75 buck and rears are about 60 bucks/
If you need rotors, buy the Zimmerman premium and they are only about 65 bucks each.

Dealer probably wants a grand to do all 4 with rotors.

You can buy all the needed tools and all the parts for less than 500 bucks.

<Generally> the front rotors last two brake jobs. The rear brakes last two front brake jobs. And rear rotors every two rear brake jobs.
Generally - assuming you change the pads before you are down to metal.

Changing just pads is VERY easy. Takes more time to loosen the wheels and jack the car up. Really, it's that simple.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 AM

2002 clk 430
Iv got my brakes done at a shop all 4 pads and 4 rotors for a lil less then a 1000
Old 08-22-2022, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'17 GLC43
I replaced all 4 pads at 28K miles on the GLC43. Bought some R1 Concept ceramic pads, all for about $120, sensors included and my indie shop did the job for about $200. I wanted to get ceramic since the OEM pads make a lot of dust.