Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes takes hit in quality surveys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Mercedes takes hit in quality surveys

Too true, although I do not understand why?

---> Via MSNBC.com

FRANKFURT, Germany, Feb. 4 — Mercedes-Benz, famed for its engineering prowess, is suddenly facing tough questions about the quality of its cars, with several surveys showing that the stately German brand may now trail some decidedly down-market competition.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/699301.asp
Old 02-04-2002, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
a few interpretations of the news story:

1. are we suprised? i knew before i bought my car that mercedes was not the greatest quality car anymore. (acura/lexus is much better in terms of quality). and the NCBS report correlates w/ the JDPower rankings.

2. some models are more prone to defects/problems w/ quality. the A-class which is not sold in the US and the MLs which seem to be of poor quality overall. even mbtech seems to acknowledge how he's always fixing them. so those models tend to weigh down the overall level. at the same time, the SLK being the highest quality car that merc offers and it comes at 12th is a shame that is, i'd want to see a few different models hit the top 10 at least and maybe 1 in the top 3.

3. the final point in the article is a good one. as mercedes has recently introduced models (and continues to do so), problems are more likely to arise. i'd be curious to see a longer term study - of say 3 to 7 years by the model (and its lifespan) and see it there is a gradual improvment. as the new CLKs and Es are coming out this year, i don't think their quality ranking is going to go up this year either.

i would like to see data on BMWs also as they too are introducing revamped models. if they do not have a similar dip in quality, it may mean that merc has more significant problems...

Last edited by young; 02-04-2002 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I would not be surprised if MB themselves leaked that report out as a pre-emptive strike to wipe the slate clean before the release of the new E-Class. It's what I would have done.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:29 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
"1. are we suprised? i knew before i bought my car that mercedes was not the greatest quality car anymore. (acura/lexus is much better in terms of quality). and the NCBS report correlates w/ the JDPower rankings. "

You are right except for one comment. I own a lexus, and I can believe that I am more impressed with the build of my GS4 than my mothers E320, HOWEVER, having been in a couple new acuras, Mercedes still does have them there. Acura still feels cheaper on the interior. One thing I definintely couldnt stand was the horrible effort in trying to replicate the black birdseye maple mercedes has in the type-S. can u say cheap?
Old 02-04-2002, 11:07 AM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
great ..so now we are gonna have acura owners bragging about their plastic interiors.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Worse than Opel?

Ouch! Most Opels are crap.

Mercedes' good name will be gone in a year or two if this poor quality and reliability continues. They had better react immediately.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
I'm going to move this to the General Mercedes Discussion forum.

Thanks.