Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

shipping to a different country?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350
shipping to a different country?

I have no experiences buying from an out of state dealer, much less shipping a car from the US to another country. However, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences shipping their US spec Mercedes to another country (more specifically, South Korea). I will be going to Korea for the summer (a week up to the whole summer) after school finishes, and was planning on shipping my SL55 there as well. Right now, I have one on order in Houston, and am buying another one in California. The one from California will be the one most likely to be shipped to Korea.

If I am not mistaken, if the car is only going to be there for a week or two (ppl might argue why the hell I would want to ship it to Korea for only a few weeks, but it COULD end up being there for a long time), registration and all the other details wouldnt matter so much right? As far as I know, I think US spec cars are legal in Korea (but then again, not that sure).

So if any one could share their experiences (and recommend certain methods or companies), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:50 AM

2001 CLK 320
Export

When I purchased my car in 2/01, I had to sign paperwork indicating I would not export the car for a certain period. I am not certain if this was something from MBUSA or my dealer, but you might want to check to see if either your dealer or MB requires the same.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The customs duties and taxes due the ROK government will be horrendous. They may exceed to cost of the car. I think you should contact the nearest ROK consulate for the most accurate information about importing a car to their country .
Old 05-05-2003, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Get in touch with the S. Korean Consulate nearest you and/or contact the embassy in Wash., DC and speak to the commercial counselor or the commercial attache and fire off your questions.

Then confirm with a letter of your understanding.

Another or additional approach would be to contact an international freight forwarder/shipping firm with experience in subject country.

If they wants your business, they'll provide you with shipping costs, insurance, duties, permits and all and everything related to your concerns/dreams.

You are asking specifics re international trade.

For that, you need to address the proper experts as I suggested. It gets very complex.

You might also be thinking of selling it in S. Korea and making a killing. Be careful and check before whether it is legal and if so, the additional duties/fees invoved.

If you need opinions on K&N filters for your SL...come back to MBworld.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:52 PM

2005 SLK350
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not even thinking of selling this baby till the other SL55 comes out, just wanted to drive it as soon as possible :p Not really "importing," just want to drive it while I am there (most likely for two weeks, and at the most for the summer)

I will call some people tomorrow and see how it goes. Hopefully they wont rape me on the customs and what not If it turns out to be ridiculously costly, i guess ill be staying in Korea for as few days as possible!