Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Why is the One Wiper gone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by BBW
I was talking to my dealer, and he was explaining to me that the 'mono-blade' was plagued with faults, and due to the number of customers who have had trouble with theirs - returning etc that they ended up returning to the 2
This is the correct answer. Rest is BS. Actually wiping the window clean, i.e. not streaking, was more a problem than other mechanical issues.

Contrary, apparently, to wishes of so many, Mercedes puts safety above "cool."
Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 Sport
Ya I love my mono-blade or "eccentric clean sweep" wiper too. I remember when I was younger I associated that mono-blade with Mercedes. I noticed too that the wiper does slightly shake the car when it is on, but it does a great job in clearing the windshield so I do not really care. I only had problems with it streaking when the blade was worn out, but it went away when I bought a new one. The rain sensor acts too sensitive sometimes, but ehh. Otherwise I like and it always feels weird when I drive another car that has the standard two blade setup. Shame they do not have that on the newer models.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Arrow adv074

Originally Posted by adv074
The rain sensor acts too sensitive sometimes, but ehh.
Do you know if there is any way to adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor system?

Thanks,
M
Old 07-21-2006, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

buy a new one...
Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Do you know if there is any way to adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor system?

Thanks,
M
Don't know about the W210, but the dealer might be able to adjust the sensitivity.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 PM

2001 E320 Sport
Originally Posted by Musikmann

Thanks,
M
I honestly do not know. I always just thought of it as just a glitch. Most of the time it operates correctly, but occasionally when there is a little bit of drizzle it will set it off, it will keep on wiping, then stop, and start again if a little bit of water lands of the window. Like with most things in the car, I find that if I just turn it off and turn it on after a few seconds any little error is gone. Like the others said you most likely have to have the dealer adjust it or buy a whole new one.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:52 PM

i've lost count
we've got 2 benzs (w201 & w202) with the mono... and 3 bmw's with the normal 2 blade system.

the 2 blade system is above and beyond superior in efficiency and reaching the most of the "important" parts of the windshield.

since the 2 blades overlap, and i'd bet that if i was an engineer, i could set up some test to prove that the very middle of the windshield was covered 4 times by the 2 blade system in the same amount of time that the single blade system covers it only 1 time. (at the same blade speed).

read that like 6 or 7 times before you respond. it makes sense if you've ever driven ANYTHING else with a dual blade system.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally Posted by LeftCoastBias
we've got 2 benzs (w201 & w202) with the mono... and 3 bmw's with the normal 2 blade system.

the 2 blade system is above and beyond superior in efficiency and reaching the most of the "important" parts of the windshield.

since the 2 blades overlap, and i'd bet that if i was an engineer, i could set up some test to prove that the very middle of the windshield was covered 4 times by the 2 blade system in the same amount of time that the single blade system covers it only 1 time. (at the same blade speed).

read that like 6 or 7 times before you respond. it makes sense if you've ever driven ANYTHING else with a dual blade system.
I understand your theory, and while I agree with it, I will also throw two things back.

1. I've owned both systems...and I'd say a vast amount of the time, the two blade overwipes...IE you hear chatter to screeching on the way back down. The reason I assume is that the first blade already wiped the area dry. During heavy downpours, this obviously doesn't happen...but how often is it that heavy vs regular rain?

2. I've never had the 1 wiper not wipe what it needed to, even without the so called overlap of the two blade system.

Like I said before, I liked the 1 better and I do miss it.

Erik
Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Interesting thread. I too as a kid in the 80's found the single MB wiper to be something of an awe factor on Benzes of the period. That wiper and several other curious engineering featues really made a Benz so different. I think this though:

One caveat, though. Without Rain-X it just can't keep up in a Florida downpour.
is the real reason why they got rid of it along with the others about streaking and it shaking the car. When you add those things up it spelled the demise of this feature. However such a wiper does live on in certain Benzes in which their driver side wiper extends slightly like the old single blade wiper did. The concept of a automatically extending wiper was just pure genius and it seperated MB from all the others of the day.

M
Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
Monowiper FTW! I love my monowiper. Classic Benz class and style with effective, practicle, functionality. Ive never had a problem with mine, plus it makes the car look much more agressive.

.....If you think about it, it totally fits the German design technition's mindstate. Find one big thing to do the whole job in one sweep.

The two wiper thing is deff a byproduct of the merger
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 AM

2015 E350 4matic Sport and 2011 C300 4matic sport
wiper

There are certain features of the MB that you love, along with the dirve of course. I love how the cruise control control is perfect in design, intuitive to use etc. I love the smooth shift betwen automatic gears. And I love the single wiper, just because it works perfectly and is completely unique to the Benz.

It does shake the car a little when it is standing still, but it also allows to me soak my kids when they walk by the blade on their way to getting in when it is raining...
Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow J Lucas

Originally Posted by J Lucas
buy a new one...
Please be more specific - a new MB or a new wiper system? My car is under a factory warranty, and I bought that for a reason - NO unexpected large expenditures.

If the dealer decides it is faulty, it will be repaired, or replaced, under the warranty.

If you're talking about a new MB, that is a goal of mine when my income catches up with my extravagant vehicle preferences

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-24-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow adv074

Originally Posted by adv074
I honestly do not know. I always just thought of it as just a glitch. Most of the time it operates correctly, but occasionally when there is a little bit of drizzle it will set it off, it will keep on wiping, then stop, and start again if a little bit of water lands of the window. Like with most things in the car, I find that if I just turn it off and turn it on after a few seconds any little error is gone. Like the others said you most likely have to have the dealer adjust it or buy a whole new one.
Yep, that's the precise "problem". If it is a glitch, I'll just live with it. But I like your idea about the on/off manuever - I'll try that at my next rainy opportunity.

Thanks!
M (under MB factory extended warranty)
Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 PM

2001 E320 Sport
To be more clear, I meant I actually shut off the car. I actually did not pull over and shut off the car, but for example the rain sensor was acting funny on my way to my friends house. I got to my friends place, shut off the car, and started it up five minutes later then the rain sensor was acting perfectly fine. If anything though since your car is under warranty, you may as well just have the dealer look at it and replace it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 AM

325i cabbie
Originally Posted by BenzE
I too mourn the loss of the monoblade.

A zone rep from MBUSA told me it had to do with many complaints they received that when sitting at traffic lights and at a standstill, the single blade rocked the car too much for comfort.

I believe it debuted on the 300 series in 1987, but I would have to look that one up...

I've always been a bit worried what would happen if in a bad storm it suddenly ceased to function; if you have 2 blades and something happens to one, you can still see. I guess that's what lifetime roadside assistance is for!
Hmm.. My buddies 85 190d has the monoblade-works DAMN good.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 AM

W124, GL550
Long live the mono wiper

As a kid I was always fascinated by the W124's single wiper and the W126's weird and intriguing double wiper design.
The single wiper was one of the things that made me absolutely fall in love with Mercedes and the W124. I still get excited today each time I'm inside a single wiper Mercedes and it comes on.
It is by far the most effective (but maybe not most efficient) wiper system I've ever seen in my entire life.
However, when they break down, it isn't a funny ordeal. I drive two W124's and at one point they both had faulty Motors. It was really tough since I live in a very rain prone city. Fixed them just once and they haven't broken down since.
Mercedes please bring it back even though I know it isn't cost effective.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:02 AM

W202 C280
My C280 has the mono blade. Never noticed streaking even with old blade, never noticed rocking of car [some people really need to get a life] Reckon it more effective than 2 blade system but needs a good blade also regular lubing of extension mechanism which is part of the MB service scheduled anyway,which reminds me I need to lube mine! lol { I use to work at MB dealer} Will miss it when time comes to update, I think Mercedes Benz not the same Corporation it was when it developed the mono blade but I guess you could say that of a lot of Corporations. I love the mono blade. Viva La Difference .