Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What is an exclusive production car these days?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
What is an exclusive production car these days?

How many units constitute an exclusive collectible car these days or exclusivity during a particular model's production year over the year or years it is produced?

Main reason for buying a so-called car with exclusivity:

1) investment over time
2) driving something no one else has to be perceived as cool
3) part of a collection
4) impressing and getting laid
5) driving pleasure

If someone knows how to to a poll on this, please do.....to get a number opinion

Is it under 50, 200, tied to an anniversary number, etc.....under 1,000 multiple year production?

I would think that under 100 is really exclusive these days over a certain model's run for a one year model only and poised to be a collectible............maybe 1000 or less is practical for a manufacturer or model built over less than 5 years?

Porsche keeps coming out with so called collectible limited production models,i.e. Speedster 997, 40th anniversary, but there are so many designated limited production Porsches in pretty high number over 1,000, that it holds no real value IMHO as a future collectible......

As far as Mercedes, I guess in the modern era, the SLR? SL 65 Black some day? Maybe none....

I am just going to drive the damn cars and enjoy them because I can't take the money or the cars with me....

And, i.e. if your goal is strictly financial with a collectible car, like a stock purchase , how much do you really make on a car unless you hold on to a collectible, Cobra, for 20-40 plus years to reap a real tangible profit..............i.e. $ 250,000 plus...

It is an interesting hobby we all have and I guess that is what it can be summed up as......