Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

MB Value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB Value

I know that Mercedes and BMW have carefully maintained their exclusive image in North America for many years. But I have always wondered if they are considered ordinary domestic vehicles in their homeland. I know that Merecedes is a common taxi in Germany while the common taxi in North America is a mid-range domestic vehicle. Can a German citizen purchase a MB for the same kind of money that we purchase our domestic luxury vehicles ? If so then we are really victims of an incredible PR campaign that has artificially inflated the true value of our vehicles. Any comments ?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
In the US, we only get highly-optioned MBs and BMWs, with the larger engines.

In Germany, you will find very basic models of each.

You can get a 518i, with manual crank windows, no air, 5spd, hub caps, etc.

Mercedes is the same. Very small engines, few or no options.

In order to maintain their market position in the US, the manufacturers simply don't bring the 'basic' models in.

Even so, I've had several people from Germany (work for a German company) comment that the prices in the US are far below pricing for a comparable product in Germany.

Both makes are definitely nicer than average in Europe. If you ask the folks at work, they want to buy a Bimmer or MB when they get the money, but presently drive Renault, Mazda, Honda, Fiat, Opel, Ford.

Also, many more A-class (and similar sized cars) than C/E/S, and many more diesels than gasoline.

BMW has a younger image in Germany, while MB drivers are typically managers/lawyers/accountants and people driving company cars.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Per capita GDP in Germany is $23,000.-

which is equal to 90% of the USA's GDP.

Germany has the world's third largest economy; the standard of living is very high as well as the demand for high quality products. Germans are frugal and save. The investment rate is 21% of GDP.

Forced obsolescence, i.e. a new car every year, is NOT part of the German style of living.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
Originally posted by karl k
Per capita GDP in Germany is $23,000.-

which is equal to 90% of the USA's GDP.

Germany has the world's third largest economy; the standard of living is very high as well as the demand for high quality products. Germans are frugal and save. The investment rate is 21% of GDP.

Forced obsolescence, i.e. a new car every year, is NOT part of the German style of living.
I am no German, and that's not my style of living either. You can see how old my cars are from my sig.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by dtkw
I am no German, and that's not my style of living either. You can see how old my cars are from my sig.
Are you sure that there is no German trace.

DTKW, a point of interest - perhaps:

1. drop the "T"

2. DKW stands for Deutsche Kraft Wagen, a German car manufacturer during the middle of the 20th century.

3. DKW was the forerunner of AUDI.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/00/aud.../content.shtml

Old 06-07-2003, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
LOL! Okay, I am going to rattle the family history tree and dig into the root to see what I could find!!