Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

MB Opposes CAFE Numbers, what about you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c280 w202
remember this is the american and europe are different in realism of things. watched dw-tv a will back and the germans stated that hybrids are not ready to be made and still have time to develop the petrol engine. i found it fun how my 1994 c280 gets the same miles out of the tank as did my 1999 bmw 323i with it's lev engine with 5 speed. where the benz makes more torque and hp then the bmw. something i notice that the vw touareg hybrid and the diesel burn the same and the diesel is 15 grand cheap, ligher, and cost less in maintance. diesel enignes where burn 40 mpg 20 years ago. i work at a mb dealer and looked at the r350 notice on the sticker that on good speed and rpm that it would burn from 12 to 46mpg. so drive under 1500 rpm and get possible 40mpg. my corvette gets 37 mpg in six gear under 1400 rpm.

one thing electric vehicle burn fossil fuel any way you look at it. they will for a long time.

most automakers just pay other company's to get engine plans and other goodie's. look at the american cars how the resemble the european cars. most cars are not that different again ford builts vehicle in europe so it's cheap to change a few thing for dot to bring here.

funny thing to look at is the hyundai genesis who use zf transmission and sach suspension found in european vehicles. as the technology is old for those compay's it's new for others.

my main case it that we fall victim to corporate america who feeds us what to think and pays congress to pass law's that make no sense so they can make money for them self.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
The U.S. is basically the size of Europe with highways stretching thousands of miles across with very poor and mostly nonexistent public transit outside of the largest cities. The car culture is also completely different here, with muscle cars, truckers, sprawling suburbs and commuters, and many open roads that may not see much traffic for hundreds of miles .....You're not going to see everyone all of a sudden trading in their F-150s (which for many people in this country are personal vehicles that also double for work use) and full-size highway cruiser sedans for A-classes, which isn't even offered for sale in this country yet, like many other "sensible" options. Even if they were, the bestsellers here are overwhelmingly not those types of cars. The strict U.S road standards also keep out many other small, cheap cars like Tata's Nano, and cars like the Mini Cooper are mostly driven for fashionable reasons here rather than utility.

Unless there is a sudden and dramatic shift in buyers' preference, I'm not sure I'd feel safe in most of the cars that would be expected to meet this arbitrary and unreasonable standard, which seems to have been pushed through the pipeline without regard for true cost or feasibility, at a time the country is hurting most. I tend to think that even higher untenable standards that are clearly illogical such as 100mpg in 10 years aren't too far off in the minds of those who proposed this.