Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Do you question MB build dates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you question MB build dates?

In general MB doesn't really know when to release their cars. Also a new S/CL-class after 5 or 6 years, a C-class after 4 or 5 years, and a CLK after 5 years. I think that's pathetic. It completely degrades the value and whole image of the car. The previous S-class(W140) was out on the market for 8 years and the C for 8 years. Where is MB going? Shortly after the new model comes out it is facelifted and then another new model comes out shortly after that. That means the MB buyers replace their cars to keep them up to date faster then they can pay off the loans! I just don't think it is logical for MB to replace the models faster, then they will probably have more flaws, and the other supposedly TOP OF THE LINE MODEL previously is crap! In the long run if there are more flaws in the car consumers will stop buying them and they will lose money. Especially if MB takes the technology route the BMW did! A plastic shifter and humpback designs are not the answer! What are your opinions on this? Thanks

DOMINIC
Old 06-08-2003, 10:50 PM

I tend to agree with you, the previous SL was in production for around 11-12 years, and in my mind is still the second best two seat roadster out there (first being the new SL) in terms of practical cars, excluding Ferrari's and the likes. MB had been known for keeping body styles around for around 8 years, with a needed refreshment about halfway through the production run. However, currently it seems as if MB is changing its ways, making refreshments 2-3 years into the production and in general changing body styles every 4-5 years. It does take away the value from the car, but unfortunately to keep up with the other car companies, this looks like it is what must be done.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:00 PM

Not a Benzer anymore
But if you do a great job the 1st time around...

Why would you need to update it to keep up with the Jones'?
Old 06-15-2003, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I sort of agree with that, one of the staples of Mercedes-Benz was the timelessness of their styling. For God's sake the W 202 was '94 to 2001 and it was a "facelift" from the W 124's and the W 201's. Hell look at the SL that was what, '92 to 2001? That's what I always loved about Benz, their styling was always "in style".
Old 06-15-2003, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Turbo2, what's your sig from? I wouldn't mind getting a good book about MB.

The situation kinda reminds me of the feature race in computer software.

I think people might hang on to their cars even longer now, knowing that the resale value will be worse due to all the new versions being made. Who knows, it might even make some people get much more picky about what they get in the first place?
Old 06-15-2003, 06:16 PM

jpb5151-
That quote is from the Mercedes Benz 2002 All Models Brochure. I still haven't found a "good" MB book, there are plenty out there, but none are that great, in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, Turbo2. Guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a good book.