Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Name and shame--South Africa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C180K 2007
Name and shame--South Africa

Can users post the names of dealers and service centres that stuffed up their vehicles during a service or maintenance to warn them for future reference ?---Ad to this post please.

2007 C180K w203
First owner!!
Standard from day one
Old 12-26-2011, 01:00 PM

W203 C180K 2007
When you have your motor serviced or repaired take photos of your car before booking it in at the service centre- Had my vehicle booked in at a service centre / dealer and they shorted out my newly installed GPS/Intertainment radio system, left the carpets full of workshop oil and broke the C/S Button--The mechanic even stole my 4gig memory card out of the radio- So be very aware!!!!--Service like this breaks down the confidence I have in MB South Africa!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 AM

1999 E240 Elegance
MBSA

Greetings,
I avoid MB SA workshops as far as I can, since I have found them to be an absolute rip-off. I have started doing all my maintenance/repairs myself, since my vehicle is not under warrantee anymore. I have also been fortunate enough to find a local guy, here in JHB, who imports OE parts for distribution to MB workshops, and generally get my parts from him.
Unfortunately, experience has taught me that the MB workshops are more interested in the profit margins than actually delivering a service, and as soon as your vehicle is out of warrantee they get a nasty "don't care" attitude, although, this isn't limited to MB.
I found it really interesting to find the agent charging R300 plus for an oil filter that you can pick up at Midas for R84, and it's the identical part! Just one of those things that makes you go "Hmmmmmm".
I suspect that this will remain the status quo, since we as Souf Efrikens tend to believe the nonsense spouted to us by agents, and just blindly bend over, and pay. More people need to start using the technology available, and start challenging the prices, and putting pressure on the agents to be a bit more "real".
The above is purely my opinion.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM

2005 W211 E240
It would be good to share the better non agent mechanics and part suppliers out there. I had to pay R15k for a B service recently even though the initial quote was for R5k! Apparently the daignostic computer determines your actual bill - kinda like playing Russian roulette.

Going to do my own services if I can. ANy ideas where we can get proper technical workshop manuals?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 PM

2005 C200K Black
MB Indy Mechanics in JHB

does anyone here know of a good Indy mechanic to go to in Joburg. Just moved up here and my W203 2005 C200 needs B Sevice and brake service light just came on. I'm now out of warranty and know it's going to be expensive at a dealership. Would consider doin it myself but don't know where to get parts in this part of the world. Need some guidance from other Joburg based MB owners. Thanks