Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

'82 MB 240D - Interior Restoration Tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'82 MB 240D
Question '82 MB 240D - Interior Restoration Tips?

Hello forum! Not only am I new here but I'm a new MB owner and chose to buy me an '82 240D two days ago. It has a cream exterior and tan interior.

I'm looking for tips on restoring the interior and want to know how much I may have to spend in doing this? The interior as it is now is not very bad, I'd say "average." I've never done a restoration so I'm learning as I go. I also won't be doing this immediately, but planning & saving now for it.

Here's what I'd like to replace and I'm not looking to make it a "show" car, but I want a new looking, clean & clean smelling interior nonetheless:
  • All seats; driver's, passenger's, rear (if possible)
  • All carpeting, even the piece of it in the holder under the armrest & in the trunk
  • All door material/paneling (if possible)
  • All armrests
  • All door pocket holders
  • All door handles
  • All window rollers (not sure if this is what they're called)
  • All material around door (not sure what this is called, but it appears to be some sort of tan material that has worn away)
  • The headliner is in great condition and has only a few spots, so this could probably use a good cleaning vs. replacement
  • Any of the woodgrain looking material on the dash & in/around gearshift
  • Misc items (steering wheel, gearshift knob, above the window handles, etc.)

I'm thinking that I should purchase another 240 (for cheap) but with a great interior in which to do this restoration.

Please give your feedback and advice on this task and I will greatly appreciate it. If I left out anything else to consider restoring, please share!

Thanks everyone...

ll
Old 07-05-2003, 05:31 PM

'82 MB 240D
Wow...I was hoping at least 1 person knew something about restoring an old Benz.

Does everyone here drive a new Benz?

ll
Old 07-06-2003, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Hey there!

I got a 1983 300CD! Same body but two doors!

My two-tone (pink and palomino) interior! hehehe... being sarcastic btw

I 'restored' my interior slowly. I got the almost perfect center console from my mechanic for free. He had it lying around so he just gave it to me. Slowly the other things will need to be done as well. Right now I wanna clean the interior really well as honestly it kinda smells bad.

I would start by browsing ebay for the wood trims

your rear seats should still be good! it's hard to wear out MB-Tex!

I bought a shift knob adapter and now I can use any new MB shift knob...

Old 07-06-2003, 09:51 AM

'82 MB 240D
Hey there Holson...I must say, this looks good and motivates me more!

You're right, my rear seats are still nice and I plan to have them professionally cleaned.

As for your center console replacement, was that an expensive job and how long did it take to replace? I'm not a DIYer at all, so I'd be at the hands of someone else doing this work for me.

I'll take your advice to restore slowly, and will begin searching for parts on eBay as well. My car has a slight odor too and I think it's either from a pet being in the car by the original owner, or, just an old car smell. I'm almost sure the carpet holds 95% of the odor, which is why it's important (and sanitary) to replace it.

What would be your advice on looking for another 240D that has a well kept interior? That was my first thought. What I will create now is a list of all parts I want to restore/replace.

I'll be speaking with an auto trim company in my area about the two front seats being reupholstered. However, if I can find great replacement seats, I think I'd rather replace them then to have them reupholstered. Would you agree or not???

Thanks for sharing and feel free to share any other tips you have!

ll
Old 07-06-2003, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Yeah I agree, you'd be better off finding used seats! As long as they're not terribly beat up!

My bad - I didn't replace the center console. I just replaced the center console wood (the wood trim around the shifter). The one that came w/ the car was cracked. I didnt want to buy it new ($400)!!!!

btw, the console is almost indestructible and does not wear out at all!

I just washed the interior today hopefully it'll smell better. Thanks to 92*F weather, the carpet cleaner dried fast!

I guess if you find another 240D w/ good interior you could swap more than just interior... you could use the parts too!