Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Dealers, Auctions, and Warranties...oh my.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL55, 2014 C300, 2015 C350
Dealers, Auctions, and Warranties...oh my.

My car search is approaching one year, and I have ruled out my first choice of color...and I am ready to ditch the Parktronic and Distronic, after not being able to find those options available with my second color and trim choice. I like do-dads, but I will probably never need the Parktronic, and I don't use regular cruise much...although I would like that option.

There are a few cars that have been for sale for a couple of months at dealerships, and I would presume that these will be going to auction soon..as I have seen a few other cars this has happened to. I recently talked to a mechanic that my mother has known for years, and who she takes her cars to, and gave him my wish list, as he has access to Manheim. He is a BMW/Audi/Volkswagen guy, so I didn't want to burden him further with MB warranty questions, as the cars he buys and resells, have his own warranty.

In short...If a car that is advertised as a CPO Benz, goes to the auction, does that CPO classification stay with it? If not...and the car is purchased, and taken to a MB dealer to have the inspection in order to get an after-market warranty..and then ends up needing serious repair...is there anything that can be done...as the previous dealer stated that the car was issue free?
Maybe there are other auction/warranty scenarios I am unaware of, but it seems that the money saved from the auction could very well be spent in repair.
I was considering making the trip to some of these dealers to see what they would actually sell these cars for, as one in particular has been advertised for over three months.
I have seen over a $20k difference between the auction price, and what the car is advertised on the lot.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
thank you,
mike
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Email me or call me tomorrow (actually, call, it will take forever to type out the answers to your questions!), and I can answer all your questions.

But the primary one you asked, the answer is no. CPO goes away if the car is sold at auction or by a non-MB dealer to a retail customer.

Bruce
brucem105@comcast.net
856-912-2600