Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

New from Mercedes, a three-wheeler for $50,000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex-C32

I knew I should have waited and not placed my order last month.

http://www.auto.com/targetnews/artic...N22126479.html

Norm - C32 in March
Old 02-24-2002, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
and I may have to get that sucker

I bought the Franklin Mint version of that car about 3 or 4 years ago as a gift to my dad. Now he saw that and questioned about getting the big one. I dont think so.... It does look very cool and with a whole one horsepower... look out. I too could have saved a few dollars had I waited to place my order. Damn.. too anxious.:p
Old 02-24-2002, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Norm C32 - crosslink does not work with explorer and netscape browsers, however

my 2002 CLK55 is indubitably the best MB car, since Karl Benz patented his three-wheeled motorcoach in January of 1886.

Old 02-25-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex-C32
Here we go:

Friday February 22, 12:40 pm Eastern Time
DETROIT, Feb 22 (Reuters) - The newest model from Mercedes comes complete without doors, seat belts, a windshield and one less wheel than other cars, all for about $50,000.

After a 116-year hiatus, Mercedes has resumed production of the original three-wheeled vehicle recognized as the world's first automobile. Resembling a large tricycle and armed with a 0.75 horsepower, single-cylinder engine, the No. 1 Patent Motor Car can reach a top speed of 10 miles per hour, just like the original.

The replicas, built by hand in Germany with period materials, copy the vehicle Carl Benz described in a patent application on Jan. 29, 1886. The cars are not certified for driving on public streets, but can run on regular gasoline -- the only modification from the original design.

Benz made a few modifications to his design before starting production in 1888, buliding about 25 three-wheelers before moving on to other models. His company eventually merged with Gottlieb Daimler's to form Daimler-Benz, the German ancestor of DaimlerChrysler AG. (NYSECX - news) .

Already, Mercedes has taken orders for about 80 of the replicas worldwide, including 32 in the United States, said spokeswoman Maryalice Ritzmann. Most of those orders have gone to Mercedes dealers, but collectors can place orders as well, she said.

``You put this icon of Mercedes-Benz heritage in your dealership and it says it all,'' Ritzmann said. ``The car was invented by the pioneers of our company.''

It's not the first time a modern automaker has resurrected its past. Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news) has built six replicas of a 1914 Model T in advance of its centennial next year, saying all would be donated to museums.

Norm
Old 02-26-2002, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Resembling a
large tricycle and armed with a 0.75 horsepower, single-cylinder engine, the No. 1
Patent Motor Car can reach a top speed of 10 miles per hour, just like the
original.
Tnx Norm for the info.

I am going to wait for the AMG-enhanced version, rumored to debut in 2005.