Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Aftermarket Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C280
Aftermarket Extended Warranties

Hello, new member here looking for advice. I recently purchased a 1999 C280 with 55K miles. I am looking at aftermarket extended warranties (service contracts) snce M-B will no longer sell me one. Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer?
Some have suggested Warranty Gold, but their primary insurer has just filed for bankruptcy...not a good thing for the biggest warranty on the net.

I've attached a pic...yes, I plan on making some mods, just haven't decided what yet...

Thanks in advance....
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Extended Warranties-irfanview_wallpaper.jpg  
Old 07-28-2003, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
If you are getting your car serviced by a MB dealership, check w/service dept. re their recommendation. Daimler -Chrysler is usually the best option.

You would not want to go through the red tape by paying for the repair and then collectig from your "Reliable Repair Ins. Co.".
Old 07-29-2003, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
Also, a lot of dealers would not honor outside warrantee other than their own Starmark. When I bought my coupe, I bought the GE Capital extended warrantee package from the dealer. They told me it would be honor in any MB dealer which was not true. I had to beg the service manager to call GE Capital to file the claim and I had to pay for it first then the company would reinburse me later. Pain in the youknowwhere.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:38 PM

1999 C280
Hmmm...all of the warranties I am looking at pay directly to te servicing facility via corporate Visa/Mastercard. The dealer still needs to call an 800 number for authorization, but he should get paid immediately, assuming that the repair is covered.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
That's the thing. As nice as the service advisor was, he still didn't really want to call because he said he might get in trouble with his boss. However, he did used his free time to do that for me but I still had to pay for it first.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by dtkw
That's the thing. As nice as the service advisor was, he still didn't really want to call because he said he might get in trouble with his boss. However, he did used his free time to do that for me but I still had to pay for it first.
Precisely.

That is why I suggested to check with the dealer first re working relationships with XYZ warranty insurance firms.

This varies from dealerships to dealerships - except that with the Daimler-Chrysler warranty.

...but, - some people can't understand and/or won't read.

:o
Old 07-29-2003, 07:39 PM

1999 C280
If you are implying that I did not read or understand your post, I did read it and I understand just fine. I believe it's a good idea to check with the dealer to determine what kind of relationships they have with particular warranty companies. Thank you for your input....