Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Qualityreliability Issues w/E500&SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
Question Qualityreliability Issues w/E500&SL500

I'm new to this board but the timing is good. My wife's '01 740iL is due back from a 24 month lease early October. No way are we getting the new 745! Enough has been said as to why... In considering the new E500, I have recevied mixed feedback from those that have one or know someone that does. The car looks awesome, however, feedback regarding the e-brakes and other electronic/quality issues seem to be mounting. The same is for the '03 SL500. A friend in my golf club just returned his to the dealer. They gave him his money back! Way too many problems. He said it was in the shop more often than his garage! Very surprised...

So as a potential MB owner, can I get some feedback on this topic from those that have more experience with the E500? I owned a 95 E320 and found the car to be fine, no issues at all. Concerned about the new e-brakes and other gremlins as well.
Other car options are the new A8L and, can't beleive I'm saying this, but the soon to be restyled Lexus LS430! I know there are no quality issues with that car despite its borig looks...

Thanks in advance for your feedback...Beartrap.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
You may get a better response if you post on the E500 forum.

There are always some horror stories with new and old models of cars. The new E has more than the average amount of malfunctions, and - according to the new JD Powers quality survey, - the new E and M pulled the overall MB rating down to WAY-BELOW-AVERAGE!

I went to the MB sponsored E-motion event and test drove the new E500 and E320 here in S. Florida a few months ago.

I was very impressed by the E500's new features, styling, handling, and pricing.

The E320 lacked spirit.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
As much as I like the new A8, I wouldn't want to get one now until they fix all the bugs that is all over the car. Typical problem with first year production of a new design. And it looks like a blow up A6.

Anyway, getting a Benz that has been around for a few years would probably a best bet. Street proven and hopefully bug free too. And also, your luck. Sometimes things would slipped thru the quality controller. But I heard a lot of good thing on the new E500 or the new E-Class. Well, whatever you decide, good luck.