Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Tool to import speedcams in COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180
Tool to import speedcams in COMAND

Hello,

After some searching on how to import speedcams in the COMAND navigation, I've noticed that many people are looking for the same, but only a few actually found how to do it easily.
In the end I started looking myself for an easy way to do this, based on the different posts on different forums. The result is that I've written a tool, MB SpeedCams, that can easily generate a COMAND POI file with the files from the scdb.info website.

I've tested it myself in different countries (Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Belgium, France) with good results in my C180 (year 2012).

I like to share this with other Mercedes owners that are looking for the same, so I've build a website where you can download this tool for free and also info on how to use the tool.

I'd like to get some feedback from other users to see if I can add improvements or if there are any problems in using the tool.

You can visit the website here:
http://mb.jack-nicholson.info

Important to know:
- During testing I've hit a hard limit of 30.000 POI items.
- I didn't find a way to play a sound when approaching a POI, while this is possible in other navigation systems (TomTom, Garmin etc).

Thanks in advance, and enjoy the tool
Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 AM

C180
Version 2.0.0 released, and can be downloaded from the website (see first post).

Change log:
- Added option to convert any POI file using basic conversion.
- Added option to merge 2 .GPX files
- Added option to choose destination of output file.

Basically it's now possible to take any POI file (in the .KML format) and convert it so it can be used in the Mercedes COMAND navigation.
I had a question from a user who wanted to import camping POI's, so I've added support to do a basic conversion, which takes just the GPS coordinates and the title from the input file.

I've also added the option to let you choose where you want to save the output file.
By default it will save to the location of the program exe file, and using the default "PersonalPOIs.gpx" filename. But when you want to combine a custom selection of countries or sources, it's most useful to give you some freedom over the output names during the conversion.

In addition to the previous option, I've added another feature that allows you to convert 2 .GPX files into 1 .GPX file. So this way you can take any POI source, and save it to seperate .GPX files on each conversion, and then in the end convert them all to 1 .GPX file.

Please keep in mind that there is a hard limit (30.000 for 2012 models) in the COMAND system for POIs in the file. If you go over that limit, the POI file will not be loaded at all. Use the Calculator (in settings) to keep track of the number of POIs in your files.

Any remarks or questions? Reply here, and I'll see if I can answer them
Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM

C180
New version (2.1.0) released today.
The name of the tool has been changed to MB POI Loader, since it covers more than just speed cameras now. Virtually any KML source is now supported, so you can also convert camping sites, fuel stations, hotels etc.

Changelog:

- Renamed to MB POI Loader
- Added support for archiescampings.eu
- Added support for gps-data-team.com
- Added support for pocketgpsworld.com
- Improved online documentation

New version (2.1.0) available for download on the website.